Yard Jockies

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by fred_armani, Nov 25, 2018.

1. fred_armani

fred_armani Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2018
    how many yard jockies does a typical DC have? Is it a good job to pursue?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    1. As many as they need minus one.
    2. Pay is typically on the lower side. It is a local job so it's a good way to be home if that's what you want. It's typically a very fast pace job also, as there is always a door that needs a trailer moved....

fred_armani and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  4. fred_armani

fred_armani Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2018
    So ... if a DC has 50 docks, how jockies? 5?

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    How many hours does one of 200 trucks waiting on that 50 docks must endure?

The Jockey in the DC is not there for the outside truckers coming in. That's srictly for their own company stuff. He will come out and move a trailer now and then when it's necessary to. BEFORE you the outside trucker is informed of a open dock to come back into after a long wait.

Better yet, a 100 dock warehouse a half a mile long is going to have maybe 5 employees. One counter at the desk, one boss to whip everyone into a company cheer and three mules to move freight, two by forklift and one by order picker.

It will be a while. Have your radio on low and nap lightly until you are called to back into a dock.

IF you were really smart, you will work in a company that does drop and hook only. You will hardly see a jockey then.

Now I have done jockey work here and there, the last time I did that sort of work was for a brass foundry in Buffalo for three wonderful days shuffling about 40 of our own trailers being loaded and out so many of our company drivers including myself can come in and drop and hook. I eventually got out of there with a load of Brass to be made into small arms cartridges in Lonoke Arkansas off 40 at Remington Arms. That's a nice little run as a reward for three days jockeying with a sleeper truck no less. And yes they paid me some good money on top so that is why that particular load, that brass foundry and the overall week was a positive and profitable experience as a company driver.

We will always need yard jockeys. But we wont need more than one or two at best.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    we cannot say how many yardmen a warehouse needs..that's like asking someone if there is a limit to how many acne pimples one can get....

if you want a yardman's job, simply apply, if they are hiring, you're in, if not, you're out.

up here yardman jobs can start at as little as $19.00 per hour, i know, cuz i worked as a yardman some years ago, so the pay must be over $22.00 per hour now.....best derned job i ever had....until the company went under, otherwise, i'd still be there.

D.Tibbitt and fred_armani Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    A large Walmart DC will usually have at least 2 operating at any time and I’m not sure how many shifts they operate but I imagine there is at least 1 running 24/7

Nothereoften and fred_armani Thank this.
  8. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    @VIDEODROME can you shed some light on this, from your perspective, please?

9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Not at my facility. I make good money.

ZVar Thanks this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Small warehouses and dc-s usually have one less than they really need. Large warehouses and dc-s have at least two less than they really need.

Ever notice how most yard jockeys are in a foul mood? There's a reason for that. Some senior shipping clerk or yard boss is always piling the work on them and a lot of times they're one or two moves behind where some pencil pusher thinks they should be.

Ever wonder why they're going at full speed all the time? They have to, just to keep pace. A dock crew waiting on a trailer is a gigantic dollar pit and warehouse managers watch all the time.

Couple that with a constant stream on inbound and outbound trucks in an area that was never intended to handle that much traffic, clueless drivers who show an absolute genius for parking in that one spot where they totally clog the flow of traffic, and drivers who couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle when it comes to backing skills, and you have some idea of what they face every working day.

I'm sure there are terminals where that isn't the case but they're few and far between.

And yes, I've driven a yard goat. I lasted a month before my normally good nature began to curdle.. Hats off to those guys.

ZVar and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  11. justcarhaulin

justcarhaulin Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2015
    A few years i worked at a large grocery warehouse. We had only one yard jockey per shift. Moving trailers from docks takes seconds. Just back up under the trailer and connect the emergency air brakes and move on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.