Yet another Swift recruit

Discussion in 'Swift' started by ShamrockSalono, Jan 20, 2013.

1. ShamrockSalono

ShamrockSalono Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Jakaby I was also on the Atari at a young age, then of course, Nintendo. Now kids have iPhones, lap tops, Xbox, and still manage to complain about being bored. I don't get it. I never had a cell phone until I was 32 years old!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShamrockSalono

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Well I got the call this morning. Headed back to Richmond, VA at 0800 tomorrow. Finally getting started on my 240.

4. Jakaby

Jakaby Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Grenada, Mississippi
    There's drivers out there that play Xbox in the cab instead of watching movies. I guess I've been passed up by a generation of youngsters. I have to admit that I would be lost without an iPhone and iPad. I've gotten to be a big apple fan. With that being said I can still remember playing Galaga at the mall arcade with no shirt on smoking a cigarette and listening Blue Oyster Cult and Styx. I should have taught a college class on grooming the proper mullet

ShamrockSalono Thanks this.
  5. ShamrockSalono

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Lol on the mullet. When I had the chance to finally get a cell phone, I had to have a BlackBerry. I have had 3 since then. I had to hear crap from my ol lady about how Apple was so great. I finally got the iPhone this year and have to say, I have been enjoying Apple ever since. Now I'm the Apple fanatic lol. I also plan on getting an iPad soon.

6. Jakaby

Mar 25, 2012
    Grenada, Mississippi
    By all means, get you an iPad. If I could only have two electronic things in my truck they would be an iPhone and iPad. I'm actually on my second iPad now. I got the iPad mini a couple of months ago and actually like it better than the regular size. I still have my laptop (MacBook) to do big things like download movies and television shows, burn music CDs, and the like, but I use the iPad for everything else. I use it for trip planning, saving any kind of company correspondence, taking pictures and videos of things you have to see to believe, and anything else you can think of. It's definitely worth the money. An added bonus of the iPad mini is that you can carry it into the outhouse for entertainment if you have to work on your "drivers daily log."

By the way- I saw where you got your call so congratulations! Remember what you have learned so far and be ready to learn the REAL lessons of being a truck driver. It's going to be tough with a trainer at times, but just stick it out and you will be solo before you know it.

7. ShamrockSalono

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    I appreciate it, Jakaby. I am excited to get started and a bit nervous as well.

8. ShamrockSalono

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Ok update. Met mentor Friday, cool dude. Been on the road two days driving now. Our first load was from Garysburg, NC to Joplin, Mo. First night we parked at a small pilot outside of Emporia, VA. Second day we picked up the load in Garysburg and headed west. I was able to get in 458 miles and traveled through the mountains of NC and TN. We stopped for the night near Nashville last night at another pilot. We headed out at 0700 this morning and I was able to drive about the same amount of miles. We are now hold up in the Flyin J in Joplin. The load was scheduled to be delivered Tuesday morning, but we are gonna try for tomorrow morning. If not, reset. So far, so good.

Jakaby, Bigdubber and scottied67 Thank this.
  9. Jakaby

Mar 25, 2012
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Talk about close encounters- I was at the Pilot in Nashville early this morning around 5:00 for fuel. Hung around for about 30 minutes, then took off for Buffalo, NY. Heavy-set white chick with dark brown hair was the cashier. Black dude wearing a white Tennessee titans hat asking for help to get a bus ticket to Memphis. I was the tall, dark, and handsome drink of water wearing a dark green Carhartt tee shirt, khaki cargo shorts, gray and green Nike shoes, and a green John Deere hat (I know, I'm eye candy). We might have crossed paths. That would have been neat.

Otherwise, it sounds like you are rolling right along. Good to hear your mentor is a good dude. That makes all the difference in the world. I know the flying j in Joplin. One of the better flying j's if you ask me, but I'm a cheap date. Saw Werner back into an O/O there once, prompting what I believe to be one of the best fist fights I have ever seen. (Werner lost, btw).

Bigdubber Thanks this.
  10. ShamrockSalono

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Lmao Jakaby, I should call you Hollywood now. Yeah this morning the receiver wouldn't let us unload so we are stuck in Joplin for the day. Good thing is we moved a few miles down the road to that huge Petro with the chrome shop. This place is awesome. Keep in contact in case there is another close encounter.

Jakaby Thanks this.
  11. Jakaby

Mar 25, 2012
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Joplin is an ok place. The Petro is one of the better ones. It could be worse. You could be in Newark on a Friday evening with a Monday appointment. There's a reason why you never see someone winning a trip to Newark on the Price is Right.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.