you can SUE!!!

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by MassRed, Apr 5, 2012.

1. MassRed

MassRed Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2011
    I don't understand the logic here... For example, If i ordered furniture from the furniture store, they bring the furniture to my home and park right in front of my house, do i have the right to say "you can either bring it in yourself or, i can do it for a "Service fee" of say $125"... See from what i can tell the logic is still the same in my example. It all boils down to this, How can a company who purchased product, have a company deliver it and require the middle man to pay for the service.. Can i legaly charge interest to the company for having me take out the loan in which to pay the lumper? It's master and slave...

misc Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    If you order furniture, and when the truck arrives you tell them that they have to take it apart to be reassembled how and where you want it, they would laugh at you, or charge you extra. But with palletized grocery loads that they want on different pallets or pattern that seems to be OK?

4. MassRed

MassRed Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Exactly, Companies just look over this law and people can't do anything about without the threat of their lively-hood being at stake. I can't go around ordering things and having them delivering it to my house and charge them to bring said products in my home can i? I would be laughed at all the way to the bank....

5. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY
    I agree with some of what you say BUT whenever I bought furniture their was a delivery fee charged! The last time they wanted $300 for two chairs:biggrin_2559: Yeah right, needless to say I lumped them myself

6. WashedUp

WashedUp Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Ill-annoy
    I just can't get my head around this "lumper" nonsense.

1. You make a delivery to a Distribution Center.
    2. Sometimes, the DC "charges" you to unload? Do I have that right? If so...

WTF

The DC told me (maybe not directly) to bring it the load here.
    The DC has people they pay to load / unload trailers, right?
    Do drivers pay the lumpers out of their own pockets, then get reimbursed?

That's CRAZY. Like a previous poster said...'I'm a driver, not an OTR dock worker.'

No offense to dock workers.

WashedUp

7. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I agree, I'm not unloading anything for you and I'm not paying anyone else to do it.

If I win the lottery everyone will know because I'm putting a walking floor in a reefer and I'm headed to the grocery WH's. I'll push an entire load either on the dock or in front of it.

fortycalglock Thanks this.
  8. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Make sure you put slip sheets under the pallets or it will not work. Of course your gonna screw the floor putting a forklift in it unless you get the 12" OC cross member heavy rated floor.

You can walk pallets on but it takes talent.

9. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    It is an arcane system left over from those "good ol' days" that decent shippers like P+G, Huish, Schmucker's, Unilever are putting an end to.

Any company worth their salt will make sure the contract language protects them from paying these fees.

10. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    Went to a receiver one time with a partial drop of 2 pallets, It was all I had on my truck They said I could not be on their docks, and they wanted a 95 dollar lumper fee, I called the company that wanted the pallets shipped and they said that these were free samples that were requested and they would not pay a lumper and to refuse to drop the load and I would still be paid for my part. I told the receiver that the shipper would not pay their extortion fee, and they they decided to not let them have the free stuff. The shipper then located a Church to give the stuff to. I pulled outside the property and a Church van came and took the goods for Good will.
    Some of these places are downright fools!

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I've had a few similar situations.

King Sooper in Denver, said I had 2 hours to unload and 'break down' or else their lumpers would jump in and I would be charged lumper fees. I pulled 18 pallets off with a manual pallet jack. They broke down into 28 pallets. I had it all done within their 2 hour time limit. Nearly got a hernia doing it. Then I was forced to wait for 1.5hr before a receiver would check and sign my load. They walked right by me and ignored me. I went to the window and the guy told me to go back and wait by my door. Double standard if you ask me.

I was late to another consignee in Stockton Ca back in Feb. They said because I was 30 mins late the load could only be done by lumpers. I was not allowed to unload it myself. My company paid the lumper fee ($170),.. but he was not happy and I fear he may not if I am ever late again. I had to chain up coming over the Donner and it was slow going. Nothing I could do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.