You can't make this stuff up.....

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by bad-luck, Dec 3, 2021.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I've been in some really bad spots. Most of them were my own fault. I always made it out, and I was always way more tired and dirty than when I started. Stones in a glass house...

God. One time me and my brother went hunting. At the time I had an '89 Bronco that I'd put a Chevy 6.2 diesel in, and a 4-speed tranny. Anyways, we were driving the "flats" on a dirt road in Colorado. Out of the blue, the rearend locked up, killed the engine, and we slid sideways to a halt. I fired it back up, backed out of it, and everything was working fine. Now a responsible person would head home and figure out WTF happened. Not us. We continued up into the mountains where things got a lot more gnarly.

Later on, pulled the back cover on the rearend to see the pin going through the side gears (8.8 rearend) had sheared in half. Part of the pin fell into the gear mesh and locked up the rearend. When I backed up, it fell into the bottom and let us continue. That's just one of the many many many examples of the dumb #### I've done. I've been there. I know the feeling. It makes it hard to judge people, even when they're stupid. I've been stupid too. And thank God for it. Boring is great, but boring is....boring.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    You're not stuck until you have to disassemble the machine and fly the parts out one by one with a helicopter.
    Until it reaches that point you're just traction challenged.

4. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Yep we even do it state side icy logging roads are no bueno

Flint1 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Then I've been "traction challenged" many times.

Flint1, Pamela1990, AModelCat and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Eh for some of us its less "too lazy or dont know how" and more "#### this grade A biden level BS" and we just dont want to do it anymore if it can be avoided. Hell i did the SLC to KC run as a team 6 days a week for 5 years and before that i did it more then i like to admit for almost 3 in the ND bakken oilfields. Ive chained up so much and so often in mud, ice, snow and sleet i can do it no problem.

I just dont feel like playing that game anymore. Besides if its so icy i need chains then trying to dump when there is a decent chance my trailer is going to shift on ice and go boom is just about as bad an idea as stuffing yourself full on the $4 all you can scarf seafood buffet next to the docks run by a guy named no nose with mr iron gut the chain smokeing chef whos idea of a shower is to wipe excess grease off every few weeks.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Never been on a Chain Gang nor have I ever Chained up a Truck and/or Trailer.
    NEVER Drove a Freightshaker, Mack, Pete, K-Whopper, Ford or Cornbinder Road Truck with "Front Wheel Drive". Guess I missed sumtin.
    Front Wheel Brakes and Shakes, YES!!

Don't recall gittin stuck in Mud or Snow runnin' barefoot.

CHEERZ!!

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    that's exactly how i survived 48 years.

9. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I make it a point to avoid all seafood not bought oceanside. Salmonella is a #####..

10. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I feel like anyone who says “ it’s not worth it” and the chaining is “dangerous” are more just trying to convince themselves that they really believe it. Anyone that actually chains up realizes it’s safer to chain and drive a reasonable safe speed. You’ll get cold and wet, but at the end of the day it’s not dangerous.

alds, D.Tibbitt, John E. and 4 others Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Buddy of mine posts videos regularly. In one he was dragging equipment up a mountain. 3 sets of triples on the drives, steer chain and I think even a set on the trailer. Either that or sit at home 4 months a year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.