You decide how many die...

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Pumpkin Oval Head, May 5, 2020.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I see around 100k maybe 120k dying this time around, not good but also not the end of the world. I see about that many dying next flu season because immune systems will be seriously compromised from hiding from everything like we have been.
    Next years Covid effects will entirely depend on finding something that combats it effectively before then. I know we can't sustain this shut down stuff for much longer and certainly not this every year for the foreseable future.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Estimates are about 83 million Americans have caught the virus. They base this because they’re starting to do more testing. Based on those numbers the death rate is 0.01%. Maybe a tad bit higher. There’s also a lot of question surrounding doctors crediting coronavirus for the death of many patients that we’re going to die or did die from other things. So let’s think here. Do the math.

in my opinion if we just Literally went out and did everything we were doing before this virus, every single one of us would catch it. Probably about 250,000 Americans would die from it. If we continue to do things the way we are now? There’s probably gonna be 2 million deaths in this country over the next three years that would not have happened from the poverty we’re going to create. Take your pick! It’s literally one or the other.

And as I always say, if you try and play both sides, you lose both. Will still end up with 250,000 dead from the virus and 2 million dead from the increased poverty that we are going to create. It’s time to pick. Open up or pay later

TokyoJoe, Milr72, nredfor88 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Exactly, you can't play both ends against the middle forever.

5. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I'm willing to except a million if it keeps the world free. Hope I answered your silly question clearly enough.

6. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    There are too many X factors because this is all so new. Any second a cure might be found, or it could go very badly the other way. It's really too soon to predict. The real issue is that people are pushing to get back to normal and politicians are caving in because the economy is taking a huge hit. But tonight on the news they said that 20 states are showing an INCREASE in infections in the face of this. Going back to normal doesn't seem like a very good plan. But we haven't had a war in over 100 years. Thinning the herd might be the answer in the long run. I see people talking about how great it is not to have to put up with all the other people for lines, traffic, etc. They like the quietness. Quite the dilemma.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    83million have caught it?

There's only 1.2million cases. No idea on how many have recovered.

71k dead in 2 months. More then the entire Vietnam war.

8. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    They're still having more cases show up in nursing homes, that's the easiest population to control, no visitors and they can't leave, how are we supposed to believe social distancing stops it?

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is always going to be death. At some point if you wait long enough it comes for you too.

If we were to somehow cure death, then we must ask is it worth it trapped in a rotted body at 150 years old unable to do anything enjoyable surrounded by caregivers who will not even allow you to have a plastic safety food knife or a choice in anything.

We would prefer to die well when the time comes whenever that is. Not in a wasteful and non useful way.

At 5000 its horrible at 50,000 in 3 weeks or four, somewhere int here.. its amazing. Then at 70000 a few days after 60000 who cares.

We cannot hardly stand to lose say 6 blown up to a IED in war decades ago. But we can lose 70000 and not apparently do anything about it. We have crossed into a different rubicon now. Any more deaths in a fast enough time period is a mere statistic. In fact if we lose say 500,000 as in deaths in a few months then... perhaps that will clear many things up really quickly for the benefit of those of us who live through this horrible time.

In world war one, the UK and French were bled white. As in all of their 16 and over were being eradicated. It will require a pause or a form of peace for 5 to 10 years into the 1920's until procreation built up another few millions of children to cannon fodder age. This is where America came in with millions of fresh soldiers to go after the enemy who had been bled out as well.

Fast forward 100 years. We cannot hardly replace a sick carrier crew of five thousand virus free sailors anymore. Than we can stand to lose the ones we have already. China is capable of moving 50 million at a single command within a week. Minus a whole lot of problems. But they got it done.

And finally but not last. Consider this. The death count is meaningless. Why? Because if you wait long enough, going into week 6 of this death count you suddenly hear about say 1700 more nursing hom deaths, or about almost 5000 more nursing home deaths or even more death that previously was KEPT QUIET and NOT REPORTED the first week or even earlier.

Instead of piling up bodies in 50, 100 reefer trailers or even regular uhaul rentals to ROT around a few funeral homes or 4 NYC crematories, we should have hauled them west as far as necessary for those Crematories or Funeral homes yet unbured by the mass death to take care of them around the USA. Ship the ashes or coffins back for burial. Since funerals are banned it does not matter anymore, cremate everyone through the night.

I suppose these slow pandemics are not too horrible. Than say a 5 megaton nuclear strike against say 5 million in DC. 3 of which will be dead and burned to death first day within a few hours on a monday morning. Or say 30 million dropping into the ocean west of I-5 should the subduction system break under the sea for a quake. When death gets big enough who cares.

We will replace even that many in a few years procreation.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  10. TruckChicken

TruckChicken Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2018
    Even more used to die, hence we have seat belts, air bags, ABS brakes. So saying no one cares that X amount of people die in traffic accidents is an out and out lie. Billions upon billions has been spent to limit the number of traffic deaths a year.

11. TruckChicken

TruckChicken Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2018
    I wonder how many anti-abortion people are for sacrificing the old and the sick? Odd how their priorities change, when they realize they won’t have the latest iPhone.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.