You driven Volvo?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WesternPlains, Jan 31, 2018.

1. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I think you are very confused about this whole thing. Why don't u post some pics

Brickwall Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickwall

Brickwall Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    I think so too. I've driven two Volvos and none of that sounds familiar to me

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The truck is in the shop. It is an older truck.

5. Brickwall

Jan 30, 2018
    Oldest when I've driven was a 2013. It had two buttons on the side of the gear lever that you use to change gears in manual.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Do you have us confused with another site? :rolleyes:

Oxbow, KillingTime and 86mechanic Thank this.
  7. 86mechanic

86mechanic Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Northridge, CA
    Oh sorry meant to type Pro Star! :p

Oxbow and KillingTime Thank this.
  8. Brickwall

Jan 30, 2018
    I like it better the other way tbh

Oxbow and 86mechanic Thank this.
  9. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Just slip it in M, brake down to a safe speed for the grade and shift into whatever gear you want manually. Currently I’m driving an automatic and you don’t even have to put it in manual to downshift with it. I do it all the time in traffic and coming in hot on offramps.

10. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The manual over-ride comes in two flavors.

The best option is a button. It's obvious and you'll figure it out after a few minutes. If I recall correctly, it's in the front of the shifter (it's been a while, can't remember exactly)

If you dont have it (button), then the manual over-ride is weird...especially down shifting UP HILL.

For DOWN HILL downshifting, use the jake lever on the steering column. It has several positions and works in combination with the jake. This works fine.

For UP HILL downshifting, It depends how it's set up, it's set in the computer (when to shift) and the driver can't change it.

You can feel a 'notch' in the accelerator pedal when you push it to the floor. Hold it to the floor. If it has a 'friendly' setting, it will shift somewhere between 60-65 mph when going up a grade. If it isn't shifting when it should be, I'll pump it within the notch range (between the floor and about a half inch off the floor), and it will shift.

If this is disabled, you're screwed. It will shift wherever it's set to shift. This could be below 50mph going up a grade. It sucks pretty bad, and it really sucks when driving in snow.

By the way, if it's set up like this, the only thing the "M" does for me is keep it in low gear when accelerating from a stop.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Mine was a full auto, but it was a 2001 era model with the clutch pedal and also a paddle on the column as a option. And the usual P,R,D, M and L

Im glad I had that transmission when they first issued it, wife barely mastered the Manual in school and eventually mastered a 13 double over in a KW2000 when we were dedicated strictly to McKesson. It took a awful lot of patience on my part.

I dislike autos that are not including a manual automatically on sight. I wont even drive it. Period. If i cannot pick one gear to stay in all day then that truck is not a properly spec'ed truck.

Donner was excellent in the rockwell transmission, it even allowed a drift about halfway down for a few miles. Straight neutral no power whatsoever on the drives.

WesternPlains and easytopleez33 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.