You driven Volvo?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WesternPlains, Jan 31, 2018.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I want to seriously thank you people for the help. I drove over I70 through Co. mountains today. Also Utah. Am spending the night in Cedar City Ut...
    Your help seriously paid off.

Brickwall Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Glad we could be of help... The Jake brake (if you haven't figured it out yet) is indeed the shorter lever on the right of the steering column. It has 6 positions, starting all the way forward they are, OFF, AUTOMATIC (can set what speed you want it to start the jakes using the little rocker button on the end of the Jake lever), 1, 2, 3, and then all the way back is a position but it won't stay there it will return to 3... If you pull it to that position you had better want to stop FAST, because it will downshift 1 and sometimes 2 gears then apply the full force of the jakes. I have only used that a couple of times when traffic went from interstate speeds to nearly stopped in a matter of seconds.

The wiper lever is also how you navigate the dash cluster screen. If press the ESC button (sometimes a couple of times if the screen is displaying messages) it will bring up a list of various things (gauges, after treatment, fuel data, time/distance), you then use the little rocker button on the end of the wiper lever to scroll up and down, once on the one you want press the bent arrow button to select it. Then either gauges, or another menu will pop up, and you can scroll through either with the rocker button.

Somewhere in those menus you can customize what you want to display on the dash cluster screen. I have mine set to show speed, cruise target speed, brake target speed (when Jake's are applied when Jake is in automatic) and outside temperature. The trip gauge is also in the time/distance menu.

To do a regen you select after treatment, then select REQUEST PARKED REGEN. Sometimes it won't let you if all the requirements (which are listed in ATS Status) aren't met. I have also had times that I had to shut the truck off for a 2 or 3 minutes then start it back up before it would let me do a regen.

Play with that a little and you will figure it out... Most likely you won't screw anything up cause all the important stuff can be password protected by your company or a dealer.

Hope this helps some.

Brickwall and WesternPlains Thank this.
  4. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    @WesternPlains so now that you have a couple of days with that auto shift, what do you think of it compared to a manual? Also how is it compared to how you "thought" it would be before driving it? Just curious to see what your thoughts on it are.

Brickwall and WesternPlains Thank this.
  5. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I’m getting more confident in it. At first, it was difficult letting go of the security of a standard. Especially on hills.
    Now I’m getting more comfortable with this auto. I work that engine brake a bunch on downhills. Getting good with it. I’m really liking it.
    The trans in general, is a luxury. Love it in town. Fought my way out of Van Nuys yesterday at 4pm. Was completely in love with it at that point.
    I gotta say I love the truck and tranny. I’d rather drive one of these than any car. It’s a complete Cruise Mobile. :)

6. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yes they are awesome in town, especially in grid locked rush hour traffic. I was a little nervous in the hills at first but with a little practice and a few more hills and I became comfortable with the tranny and knew that it would indeed hold there truck on the hills. I almost wonder if I would take a manual over the auto now... Sometimes it would be nice but I have the same confidence in the auto as I do in manuals now.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  7. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I just knocked out 720 miles today. 11 hours of driving. It was easy. Let me change my last post to: This is an absolutely Righteous Cruise Mobile. Love it.
    I did run over drive time by 5 minutes...Doh!

8. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I would like to figure out just how the bunk heater works. Have a control button on dash for fan back there. Also a control panel back there. I’ve succeeded in cooking or being cold so far. Readout on control panel doesn’t make sense to me?
    Also... gotta have at least one intelligent life form in the truck. My sweetie riding shotgun.
    4F834AE9-0591-438A-9015-CA561E10DAE6.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Zeviander Thanks this.
  9. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Well if its like mine the controls in sleeper are all I use... I never turn the fan on constant with the switch in the dash, in fact I don't turn the fan on constant at all except to circulate air (with the heat off) when its hot outside.

So again if like mine, you should have a display, 2 dials and some buttons in the sleeper. Press the button in the middle of the top dial 3 times and the display will say "heat", then press the on/off button followed by the set button... This turns the heater on. Then the bottom dial is the temp control... All the way counter clockwise is low and all the way clockwise is roast you out of the cab. I usually set mine about 4 or 5 clicks above the lowest setting, 2 clicks if I'm leaving the truck for more than 12 hours and just want to keep stuff from freezing in the cab. You will probably notice that 1 or 2 clicks either way will make a very noticeable difference in the temp. Once set the heater should kick on and off as needed to maintain temp, you will probably hear a steady click, click, click when the heater is running... That is the fuel pump for the heater. At first it annoyed me to death, now its hard for me to sleep without it. It took me about 2 weeks to figure out how to set it and be comfortable all night. The first night I had it set up past the half way mark as the dial has a blue streak on the low side and a red streak on the high side, and I thought in the middle was no heat... Needless to say I woke up about 2 hours later drenched in sweat. Also if you wake up and there is a light flashing on the control panel and/or the fan switch in the dash is flashing then the batteries have drained down low enough that the computer has shut off the heater to save electricity for starting the truck... Simply start the truck and idle it up for about 30 mins and it should get enough of a charge to get through the rest of the night.

Mine also has a clock and alarm built into the same control panel in the sleeper as Well as radio controls... I rarely use this as I trust a standalone alarm more than one dependent on the truck battery. So I'm not to familiar with the controls for those functions.

Hope this helps.

10. Brickwall

Brickwall Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    the heater in those is a royal pain in the ###. I hated that thing. either freeze to death, or roast like a goose in a pan.

11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    How do you manually shift this one?
    image.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.