You paid how much for a truck?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by nightgunner, May 23, 2017.

1. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Appearantly the people complaining about this never actually read or if they did, did not comprehend the first two sentences. I specifically called out those with "little or no experience as an O/O". Now if you find it offensive none the less, maybe you need to reevaluate your business model.
    Paying a premium "because you can" is foolish at best. Focus on your business and the best ROI. Not on feeling good about yourself.
    Y'all be safe out there and try not to melt as it must be hard being a snowflake in the summer.

bowhunter67 and wore out Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    What a simple opinion!

4. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Fact of the matter is it ends up about the same either way you go. Why everyone wants to fight over which is the better way will always baffle me. I've yet to meet anyone who is clearly ahead of the rest because of their decision to go used or new. The costs for each just come in different forms.

datnewnew and Banker Thank this.
  5. T-BoneX

T-BoneX Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    South Bend, Indiana

Over the course of 5 years you think a used tractor with 3-400k miles for 55k would run you about 100k in downtime and repairs?

I just don't see that happening man. You'd have to have some outrageously garbage luck lol

RET423 and bowhunter67 Thank this.
  6. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I spent over 70k in two years. Dumped the truck and bought new

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Ouch.

8. T-BoneX

T-BoneX Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    South Bend, Indiana
    Lol noooooo, that's NOT what I like to hear.

Sorry man

Mind if I ask just how used you went and the mileage?

9. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    It was a 2009 Pete with 480k on it. Dyno was good and no blow by but it went to h in a hand basket quick

10. Possmguts

Possmguts Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Columbiana, Ohio
    Ok, I'll play...
    I'm a L/P driver and at the moment I'm in a 2016 Volvo (Yes, I know... I must be gay right) I'm not doing bad with what I bank, but I'm sure it could be better. But I'm looking at other options since I know these new trucks are all junk. Hell, 275 miles I was in the shop for a sensor lol.
    I'm looking at trucks in the 30k range and in the 60k range. Big difference.
    I've looked at trucks that have wiring that looks worse than a week old bowl of spaghetti that I just shake my head at and walk away from. Not every chicken truck was deserving of such wiring skills lol
    I just got out of a T660 with a Paccar in it... supposed to have been the Fuel saver motor right? 6000 bucks in 2 months with that DPF system and Couldn't do 6mpg on a good day with a tail wind going down hill with a load of sailboat fuel.
    I've been behind Cats, Cummins,, Paccar, and now this Volvo (what ever the hell it is)
    I'm getting right at 7mpg in this ugly truck AND it has a fancy table in back I can sit at and read the crap that spews from some of your minds on down time, like tonight. But I'm still looking at getting back behind a good old Cat.... Something I can work on without the need for a computer to point the way at whats wrong.... I think I would be making Momma a lot more happier by banking more and having something to do working on it to stay out of her hair when I'm home.
    But all that crap I just said... I'm worried that no sooner than I buy a Pre-emissions truck Uncle Sam is gonna tell me I cant drive it...

ShooterK2 Thanks this.
  11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    And I get 6.5 in my little ole 93 t600 that I bought in January. Has its quirks but she will still pass everything but @wore out .

1951 ford and wore out Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.