Your cruise setting

Discussion in 'Prime' started by ExplorerInGA, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Pennies? Haven't been keeping up with the price of fuel lately, have we?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Actually , if the carriers' trucks get better mpg than the mpg used in the FSC formula their profit increases as fuel prices goes up .

4. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Which is the point of slowing down their trucks, now isn't it?

5. Mogadeth

Mogadeth Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2011
    PDX
    I try to set mine at 54, after ACE2 earlier this month... But I don't know why I'm always getting dispatched on things that need to be there ASAP, usually someone else bullocks up. Than I'm ALWAYS running up against my 70, so much that I'm hiring a co-driver (a buddy who needs OTR experience). Last week was the first time I got on the 'good' boy list from fleet manager. Than this week after going into NW mountains, almost to gross, weather make made me peg back to 65.. Argh, Three weeks till co-driver than we'll be running 54.

6. 60MPH

60MPH Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2010
    HAVE NO IDEA!!!
    Those that are speeding are passing/braking more also because they are catching up on those that run the limit or under it because they are heavy or on a grade, or those that know running 75mph north of Bangor at 02:00 is not the brightest thing to do considering what you might hit may kill you. All's I know is that I rarely pass anything that ain't on the shoulder or merging, yet have the pedal to do so if I choose to.

Think about this how many times have you been passed when you are diving the limit and someone got in front of you and got on the binders to be a arse or to get off a ramp. Causing a unsafe condition.

Pennies??? how's 900,000 of them a year per truck if run effectively/safely :yes2557:

7. 01blackz28

01blackz28 Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2011
    I'm curious what you guys think of getting runs on hills. My trainer will fly down a hill at 75 just to go back up when cruise kicks in at 54. Do you guys think if u got back in it at around 60 you would see better fuel mileage instead of dropping a gear? Also if he drops a gear climbing a mountain he waits for the rpms to fall to 1200. Again wouldn't you keep your rpms up once dropping down to 9th? I'm curious to see the difference in fuel mileage as top climbing a mountain in 8th vs 7th ( trainers way). Any opinions?

8. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    Yeah....Those guys that actually "gasp!" stop and get out of their truck to pee in a toilet like a civilized person instead of using a jug.
    The ones that take a break every now and then instead of sitting there like a jughead all day and never getting out to stretch their legs. (I see a lot of you guys waddling around with purple calves because of sitting there like that all day)

EXACTLY!!!

Keep thinkin' that....While guys like me are makin' more money than any of you think is even possible to make in this business.

And right into my bank account!

I have....What's your point?
    Fuel is an expense that we all have to pay but you guys are paying for it out of far less revenue than some of us are because we don't pull for rate cutting bottom feeders like PRIME.

Mine certainly gets better mileage than the FSC formula and at realistic speeds....Not chugging along at 55 MPH.

No....I get good fuel milage because my truck is set up to run much faster than yours in it's "sweet spot".
    The reason the bottom feeders slow their trucks down is because their insurance companies demand it of "training companies"....Then they tell you it's about fuel milage!

Passing is a bad thing?

I'm not speeding though....Let's get that straight here! I'm running at the speed limit (That might look like speeding to the governed bottom feeders)

I'm not braking because I look ahead of me and see the slugs chugging along and select a lane well before I get to them.
    The only time I have to hit the brakes is when one of you slugs whips it out in front of me when I'm 50 feet behind you going 20 MPH faster....You run along in front of me for a while, Can't pass the other slug you though you were gonna pass and give up and go back to the right lane where you belong!

It happens all the time...I'm fairly sure that in many cases it's done intentionally out of some goofy sense of jealously.

So.....You save around $9,000 for running like a slug?

When you look at it that way....It's not really very much money is it?

If it actually cost me that much to run the speed limit, It would be worth it!
    Since in the "real world" I get above 6.5 MPG running at the speed limit....I'll continue to run at the faster pace.
    It's funny.....When I slow down to the slug speeds when I'm in California and other places with 55 MPH speed limits, I still get around 6.5 MPG or so and yet it takes me so much longer to do anything.

9. Seebs

Seebs Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Ohio
    Our loads are set at 45mph. We have more then enough time to stop when needed if you plan accordingly. I've yet to run a full shift without stopping. And i've yet to stoop to the level of peeing in a jug because I can't afford to stop. Now I'll admit I don't stop a lot but that's because I like to leave myself a comfortable gap so I will be early/on time.

I won't get into the fuel discussion as it doesn't apply to me as much as long as I'm above the average.

Why is it everytime we get a thread with good information on the 'Prime section' that someone has to come in and bash our company?

10. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Well, chuggin' along I get around 8.5 mpg - when I decide to speed up to our limit it drops down to 6.5. How can you stand gettin' such crappy fuel economy blackw? It must REALLY suck!!!

For the most part it doesn't help us a bit to run any faster than the schedule requires. Our shipper and receiver appointments frequently can't be changed - so all running fast gets us is less revenue and a lot more standin' around time at the truckstop. The company guys have to toe a fuel economy line as a condition of employment...

And BTW... I do subscribe to a load board, and most of my loads even with Prime's cut are above the spot market rates for reefer freight.

Blackw must be bored to come messin' around here. He's usually out grillin' a dead cow.

That'd be the whole dang cow! :biggrin_2559:

11. harleysmith64

harleysmith64 Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    seems there is always some jackwagon with all the answers and all he money...guess thats why he owns his own fleet...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.