your experiences with WI-FI at Pilot, Flying J and TA truck stops?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by RollOn33, Jul 3, 2013.

1. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    I use my phone as a hotspot, and have a 20gb plan with Verizon. With that and my wife's phone, we're right at $200/mo

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sexybuilt

Sexybuilt Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2013
    WI
    Everything I've researched indicates you two are good to go with verizon for sure, and if you monitor usage, the smart phone is def the way to go. 4 gig should be plenty as he doesn't even want it, but the first month he'll use the most. Probably won't touch 4 gig. My son and I share a plan. $175, protection plans for both phones, 4 gig, he's 15, we both use facebook, I use the gps and skype and mobile hot spot. Leave the wifi "on" on his phone, if the signal sucks at the truck stops, he can use data. My bookkeeping, and data logging will be done in the truck, using my verizon plan and laptop. From chicago, to miami, to san diego, never once lost the signal. Best of luck and safe trucking to papa:)

4. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    I have a regular phone (non smart phone) $35 a month and have a hotspot plan here http://millenicom.com/plans/#hotspot-plan. The hotspot plan cost $69.99 a month and I use it with a tablet, you get 20gb a month using a Verizon Mifi and using Verizon's network. I use it mainly for Skype with family and internet, Skype uses about 500mb an hour. So far i am extremely happy with the internet coverage, customer service with this company is poor but all in all I am very happy to be able to see my family via Skype. I get 4g service most of the time and when I get 3g Skype still works well.

5. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Walk to McDonald s across the street

Free ac
    Free WiFi
    Free people watching
    Get a HIC and be the old creepy guy in the corner all day like me :D

6. Reverend Falstaff

Reverend Falstaff Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I have a years subscription to the Pilot/Flying J network. I used to use T-mobile when it was unlimited data per month. When they stopped that my monthly costs skyrocketed to twice what the yearly fee I'm paying now is. Overall I rate it a "B"....when it works it works pretty well; when it's glitchy I can't deal with it. Different locations have different reliability, but overall it's OK. And a helluva lot cheaper.

7. Silvermitts

Silvermitts Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Ga
    I get pilot / j's by the month ( under 20 dollars ) for my mini laptop .

The quality depends on where you park , close and line of site are the key , and I can go inside
    if need be .

I don't have a cool hip type phone and more often than not I'm parked at thee above and use it mostly for " entertainment " so it works for me.

I give it a B if I can pick the signal up in the truck , a C - if I have to walk inside lol.

8. Look4Orion

Look4Orion Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I've tried the truck stop wifi a couple of times when I didn't have a solid signal on my phone. Both times I was so frustrated with the slow speed that I wound up going to sleep early rather than deal with it.

9. BigMuthaTrucka

BigMuthaTrucka Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    The truckstop wifi is garbage I agree. I would go with Verizon but is expensive.

10. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    why pay for wifi service, that in most cases at pfj, DOES NOT WORK. GO visit their fb page and see how many hundreds of complaints there is over the years, since they merged.
    Love my Verizon Jet Pak WIFI. Have internet, where ever I have a cell signal, and its secured. No one can use my connection, unless they are a good hacker.
    Probly the main reason the Wi-Fi at pfj, sucks, is that they only have so much bandwidth at each location, so when you get a few drivers watching online movies, or playing games, the signal strength is gonna suck.

11. moonmanco2006

moonmanco2006 Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I've worked at a PFJ for several years and I can tell you that you're better off with a cell phone or hot spot. Our wifi router continuously goes out about once a month for a couple days at a time and I wouldn't pay for it if it isn't guaranteed that I'd get it at every stop.

Vito Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.