Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by marshmann1979, Sep 20, 2017.

1. marshmann1979

marshmann1979 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2017
    So im new to the trucking world, only been driving 5 months. First 3 months were driving a log truck, getting paid by the load. I decided to get my tanker endorsement and haul permeate from cheese plant to farms and am getting paid per hour.

We pick up at plant out of a single bay. There is another trucking company that hauls a different waste product out of same bay. They will take and park their truck in bay to get loaded and leave to make deliveries using other trucks that have been loaded all ready. They tell us to pull their trucks out and to back another one of theirs in after we have been loaded. I did this for the first month and a half thinking that it just helped things flow, but started being asked by the other company drivers if i would back their truck in after i was loaded so they didnt have to wait for me. They wanted to go home for the day. If we dont pull their trucks out we have to sit and wait for an hour or longer. I started getting text from the head company driver on which trucks he wanted me to move and where. Also, that i needed to roll up the windows in their trucks when i pull them out. I would get these text from head driver and would drive by his house as was on my way to make a delivery and he would be at home calling it a day.

We back our trucks in and wait to be loaded and then leave.

How many of you would move their trucks in and out of bay for them?

Hom many believe this is their responsibility?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Personally, I wouldn't be doing it at all. It leaves you wide open for liability in case anything should happen. You aren't a legally authorized driver of their vehicles.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Soon they'll accuse you of leaving bread crumbs in the trucks or changing the radio station. When they damage something they'll say you did it. You've opened the floodgates. Unless you're being paid really well to move their trucks for them, I wouldn't do it.
    When another driver calls you, don't answer the phone unless company policy dictates that you answer.

5. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    That too. Even within my own company, someone drove my truck while I was on military duty. I was extremely annoyed by it because the office never gave me a heads up, I just got back into my truck to find all my stuff on the front seat had been dumped on my bunk and on the sleeper floor, and a bunch of stuff shoved willy nilly into the cabinets. But beyond all that, because it IS "their" truck, is the fact that their temp driver used my pillows and sleeping bag. It hasn't happened since because I raised holy hell about it, tho.
    Oh, and that driver also high-hooked a trailer and smashed the bunk AC condenser on the back of the cab. Took quite a bit of explaining that it wasn't ME that did it.

The position you've placed yourself in, you're a scapegoat.

JReding, Tb0n3 and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Tell them to back their own trucks or ask for extra pay like $5.00 a truck.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Wait, let me get this straight. You're getting paid by the hour, yet complaining about getting another hour of pay ( for doing nothing?) I wouldn't touch their trucks, and if the boss says anything, tell them the situation, and get out the can of wax.

JReding and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  8. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Why does the head driver have your phone number? It's best that you stop driving their trucks asap

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You're generous. My time is important. I want 2x my hourly wage in cash. Per truck.

Mr @marshmann1979 , no one appreciates a doormat. You should never volunteer for doormat duty.

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Actually, I spoke too soon. There were times on my route job, at some places, all the docks had dropped wagons, and I would "double drop", so I could make the delivery. Many places wouldn't let you do that, because in the past, some drivers would take off after their delivery, and not put the wagon back.

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Either way he deserves extra money otherwise if he doesn't say something his boss will continue taking advantage of him.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.