You're worth more!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by noluck, Jan 4, 2017.

1. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    So, I was on its looking for some work. I saw a couple loads going to south Texas. One to corpus Christ and one to Laredo. I know south Texas, is a black hole for trucks. But, I thought hey it may pay well and I'll bounce to Houston. Both loads were light >20k. The Saint Louis-Corpus Christi was like 9 wide. So I called. The broker said he had one left. Asked my rate I said "4500" he said he had a standing offer for 2200. I said bye. Next load was from Raleigh to Laredo. Legal 10k on weight. 1553 on miles. I figured I'd say 6600 and anything over 6200 would do it. So I called, he said he had 5 total and 3 left. He then asked my rate. I told him, and he said the other two sold for 2500 & 3000. I guess if any one is listening, what I want to say is even for a legal 5 axle load, you can and should get more than two bucks a mile. Quit selling your self short. That load was at a min. A 4500 load. And that's cheap to Laredo. Oh well, thanks for reading my vent.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    PS. I know most guys here aren't the problem, but maybe this will change one mind.

Pnwtrucker, Oxbow and Inthedark Thank this.
  4. Inthedark

Inthedark Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2016
    springfield MO
    I try to pay attention to these types of threads. It is my assumption, that the brokers are just vultures skimming as much as possible for themselves?

I have only 6 months experience, but look forward to being an O/O.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    The trucks set the rates. Not the brokers. An old car dealer told me once "I don't shart people, I just put it out there and let 'em shart themselves" brokers are the same way. The truck can always say no.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Just had a guy (not one of our trucks), bring a load of pipe from Williston, ND to Alvin, TX, the rate on his paperwork? $2000.

Why would anyone wh@re themselves out like that?

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  7. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I hope the load that got him to Williston paid very well, especially with the additional cost of running in sub-zero temperatures.

8. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Recent rates going to that part of the country haven't been very good from what I've seen. Maybe he just needed to get out of the house & away from the old lady for awhile, even at the cost of losing money.

Oxbow and passingthru69 Thank this.
  9. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    It's madness! I don't know why people don't value their work.

10. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    I think part of it might be that they don't KNOW the VALUE of their work. Thus rates in the bowl, circling and circling.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    I totally agree with that. I guess it is madness, that someone is selling a service with no clue of the true value of said service. It's truly sad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.