YRC Driver School Questions?

Discussion in 'YRC' started by Sean_Memphis, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Sean_Memphis

Sean_Memphis Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    I'm in Memphis and a lot of Freight comes through here. We have all the big trucking companies here. Most want you to already have your CDL though for the dock.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Waggledaddy

Waggledaddy Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Sean,

I'm here in Memphis too. Was just told that at the beginning of the year they just upgraded trucks here. I'm going to Delta Tech to get my CDL A. Halfway through. Hoping to get on with YRC in June when I graduate. Heard that is when they do the most of their hiring. So perfect timing for me.

Sean_Memphis Thanks this.
  4. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    How is Delta Tech? I've looked at them (just their website) and Roadmaster. Thinking about getting my CDL on my own and staying with FedEx. Have you talked to anyone @ YRC?

5. imtimmy

imtimmy Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    DFW
    Sean I took a PT job at Fedex last summer while I did the YRC training program to upgrade my CDL, it worked out great and so far I am liking YRC. Many different jobs to do, many helpful co-workers looking out for you and right now freight is up and OT being offered up like candy. I don't know what your hours are at Fedex but if you were to do training at YRC they will work with your schedule so long as they have someone available to help train and get your 120 hours in. Like the other poster mentioned, work on getting your permit and endorsements, just the computer tests i think. I used the Truckers Truth website to study for tanker, double/triples. I had Haz already with a B license. You will have an option to work as a casual on the dock while you train as well however I may have only worked 3 days because I relied on my fedex job for income while training. Casual pay isn't all that great. I'm in TX. so once you pass your computer tests for endorsements you have I believe 30 days to go take your driving test. Maybe it's different in TN, so just be sure to time your testing when you feel like it has all come together and you can pass your behind the wheel test. I went to the DMV with a pup and a helpful YRC trainer with day cab.

6. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    I've been PT with FedEx for a year. Hourly wage isn't bad, but getting hours is. As you prob. know all the FedEx hours go to drivers. I've applied for YRC in my area several times and was only offered a position several hours away I didn't apply for LOL :)

7. imtimmy

imtimmy Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    DFW
    Keep an eye out for YRC job fairs, they will start up soon and maybe will have 1 in Memphis soon. Just click on job fairs under the careers section. Also I would think they will be hiring soon regardless because the season, so keep eye open for dock worker position so you can do their training at same time. I'm not sure if Memphis is a breakout terminal, I would think it is. I went to the job fair in Irving last June, everyone gets hired and pee's in a cup that same day. You can try getting into a training program with other carriers too. I know Saia, ABF and Southeastern have programs.

8. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks! Yeah, no job fairs curentlly listed.

9. Gregory4naca

Gregory4naca Bobtail Member

May 25, 2016
    California
    I have been truck driving for 12 months and I love it. I started with CR England in February 2015. Now that I know what I know I wish that I took another route to get my CDL. CR England paid me .14 cents per mile and they put me under a contract which prevented me from getting another job while I was under their employment contract or I could buy them out of the contract by paying them the sum of $7,500. Needless to say I didn't have $7,500 laying around. So I stuck it out and fulfilled my contract over 9 months. I am OTR driving 48 states. When my contract was completed I quit the next Following day and joined Swit with no contract because I did not attend their school I worked for Swift for 3 months. Now I have 12 experience with a perfect drivingrecord I am now moving to a new company that pays .38 cents per mile. The good news is that with this company I only needed 3 months of experience to be hired. They allow me to have my pet on the truck with me if I choose. I will drive Western Regional with 14 days on and 3 days off. I think I will enjoy working for the new company. In fact I would like to bring along a rider for 14 days so the rider could see what trucking entails.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.