Yrc ltl

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chrism1367, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Waggledaddy

Waggledaddy Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Areas may differ but I'm in school now looking to go YRC out of Memphis. My mom's boyfriend been with YRC for 30 years. To the best of my understanding unless you're on a bid you're on the call block which changes every 3 hours. Say your next block to run is 12 midnight you call them then and if they have a run you want you can take it and be in 2 hours later or pass and call on the next block at 3am. Other things come into play with your spot on the board too. First couple years you'll be low and susceptible to the crap runs and getting laid off in the slow times. Based on other local stuff to me the pay is 20c more a mile. The pros and cons list has to be used.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chrism1367

chrism1367 Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Thanks for that, I don't think I could handle that, I am prob gonna steer away from yrc, good insight to how that bidding works, was a little confused by it.

4. Waggledaddy

Waggledaddy Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2016
    No problem. However a bid is different. A bid is the same exact run for 6 months. For example, the one my mom's boyfriend likes the most is Memphis to Houston. He'll drive there stay over night then drive back. He does that 6 days a week (so 3 runs there and back) then have 2 days off and start over. He hunts in the winter time on the weekends. So with that run he doesn't have weekends off (its whatever 2 days you get off after 6 days driving). Like I said with the pros and cons list. Being new you get the bids (if any) that none of the drivers ahead of you on the board don't want. If not on a bid you're on the call block. But they do have positives. Pay is generally better. Union. Benefits are better. Retirement (this can be a con too because they're constantly getting cut but there's no retirement anywhere else unless you contribute to a 401k). Day cabs (unless you're team driving you sleep in a hotel every night but also can be a downfall because you have a different truck everyday). I hear horror stories of truckers with not getting detention pay and layover pay. As just an employee you are stuck fighting your own battle. You have issues in a union they fight it for you. To me I really like both sides. I'm wanting to be home every weekend and have some options for that locally. My original idea was to go YRC. Since then I've seen other things that look good not there. The pay and union may keep me with wanting YRC though. We'll see.

chrism1367 Thanks this.
  5. imtimmy

imtimmy Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    DFW
    I did the YRC driver training program last summer to upgrade my CDL. I was put on ft after completion in Sept, worked about 5 more weeks and was put on layoff early Nov. Layoff just basically means your called and given options to work various shifts. They called almost everyday however I work out of a bigger break bulk terminal in Dallas. Since being back I am liking it a lot, very laid back and many helpful co-workers in case you need help or have questions. I do a variety of jobs because currently I'm unassigned but I kind of like that. I may start off on dock checking or stacking and than I may be asked to go bump dock, hook, shuttle. I choose my hours and am guaranteed 40 and right now freight volume is high so I am getting asked if I want OT 3-4 days a week. On Mondays they have been offering routes because of call offs and more freight to be delivered from weekend. Right now they are in need of many drivers for P/D and Linehaul like a lot of other LTL companies. I am keeping options open in future to make a move to ABF or UPSF since I don't have a lot of time invested but really can't complain as long as I'm able to get the extra hours right now and the healthcare is paid.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  6. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    You did the driver school in Hammond Indiana and your home terminal is in Dallas?

7. imtimmy

imtimmy Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    DFW
    No I live in Texas, did their training program in Irving, TX. Break bulk terminal

8. chrism1367

Jul 5, 2014
    You're able to decline hours/shifts without them looking down on that? Also are you basically having to work all shifts, day and night?

9. imtimmy

imtimmy Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    DFW
    If you're on a "unassigned" slot you can choose what shifts you want that they offer, so long as you get your 40 hours in. For example, they called me a few hours ago and offered me shifts for tonight, Thursday, Friday, Saturday already. So I called her back and said I would do midnight for Thurs, Fri, Sat. Typical shifts availability is 8am-1600, 1600-midnight and midnight-8 am. They do have city shifts for driving that range from 6am-11am too as well as a 1900 start for dock work. Every shift is 8hrs with OT after 8hrs. They also have a couple 4 day 10hr shifts but those are taken up on bid by higher seniority because they almost always get called for a 5th punch OT and 6th punch. I worked 1600 dock this past Sunday and was scheduled to drive 10am Monday. Well they offered OT Sunday night so I stayed and did 8hr's OT, thus I was not able to drive Monday at 10am. I clocked out at 8am Monday morning and have been off since but am choosing to go in at midnight tonight. I confirmed with some old timers, they can't write me up for Mondays 10am shift because they offered me OT first on Sunday night even though I was scheduled. Basically when on unassigned they give you options and a chance to plan 2-3 days in advance. Now I did just bid a couple Tues-Sat slots but not sure I will get them or not.

chrism1367 and Waggledaddy Thank this.
  10. chrism1367

Jul 5, 2014
    Thanks for the insight imtimmy, definitely helped me get an idea of the hours and shifts. Basically you can choose your shifts from what's available as long as you get your 40. Thanks again

11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The benefits aren't helping me much .
    I have 4 Less teeth now than when I started a year ago when I started at YRC thanks to the crappy dental benefits at my terminal. $1200.00 out of pocket.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Reason for edit: out-of-pocket costs
    Giuseppe Ventolucci Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.