Yrc or Dayton freight?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by 10speedsteve, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Putmeincoach!!

Putmeincoach!! Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Dayton is known to be a well-run company among just-another-company in the booming freight region of ohio, where companies spring up and crash out daily, promising anything they can get you by on. Not too many companies get 4/5 stars but only thing they had in my area was P&D early morning-day shift, not about a P&D everyday grind or mornings on top of it myself but equipment is mostly nice and their linehaul night I was told doesnt open often and theirs internal transfers on top of it but if you want it all they're a good one. Pitt-ohio might be thrown in the convo possibly but to the point of someone else it really depends on terminals with most companies. I was applying to Central Transport, being promised newer trucks and stuff, goto the beatup yard here in Ohio and seeing young kids in raggedy sounding trucks pulling in/out with trucks sitting, hood-open in and lined out of an otherwise empty-ghosted hanger bay shop, looking more like a scrap yard, and they want to expand on the brick and mortar terminal but drivers are making money with those beatup trucks and torn up rusting trailers. Their recruiting department cant promise you anything at that company in actuality and it's all terminal specific and no one knows til you get there. I'd take a paycut for better equipment but usually thats not the setup usually being offered. That would be a case of dispatch wanting comfort upgrades over the drivers and thats just not necessary or smart putting in for your comfort over the drivers safety when the equipment can tarnish the company/driver/safety scores etc. The company is out on the road not in the building many dont get that, some of the priorities out there are questionable if not downright counter-intuitive/appalling and corporate, if they cared, would be surprised to learn how terminals are actually being administrated/ran day-to-day.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I guess this Dayton Freight is mainly an east coast/midwest operation. Looked it up out of curiosity and found nothing in my area. Everything seems to require a major, death defying relocation and branding on the arm by another state.

4. Putmeincoach!!

Jan 15, 2021
    They're called Dayton freight, being based out of Dayton, OH. Dont know too much about how regional there regional is, but I dont see em expanding out too far/aggressively. I personally wouldn't try that if it were me.
    Apparently, theres a driver shortage and lots of drivers dont wanna do northeast anyway. But you live in nm, general tx-california easy riding climate where jobs are harder to get/hold opposed to midwest or wherever thats not there, or FL and maybe even GA to some degree, pretty much the south.

Ever heard of trade-offs? Welcome to driving.

5. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Everyone complains about the depression living in the rainy, northwest would bring about. But that long winter and just the "non-desert" atmosphere of the northeast would probably make depression for myself even worst.

I don't know? Live in my pickup truck parked in the yard and once I get whatever money I need, disappear? That's the way I'd handle that. Work, sleep, and get out when you're good. I don't make any connections anywhere I've been living, so blowing off northeasterners would be more or less the same.

McUzi Thanks this.
  6. Putmeincoach!!

Jan 15, 2021
    Ive heard of guys living in a trailer park basic but your pickup truck? Surely you could do better than that, and in NM?

7. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I'm talking about if "I'm forced to relocate to another state for better work". I'm living in an apartment here, but dairy and generally any agriculture hauling in the rural areas pays squat. Repeatedly applied to places like Saia, Old Dominion, and RL Carriers out in Albuquerque and have gotten interviews. But no actual job offers.

Meanwhile, the more expensive and colder Denver area seems to be quick about getting back to my applications on the dot and are willing to hire anyone with a pulse it seems. I seem to bring up that area quite often, but I'm thinking the driver shortage up there could be attributed to: drivers failing drug tests, or area getting too expensive, or not getting along with 20-something tech industry neighbors.

So yes. I am doing better than my pickup down here in NM. But if I were forced to relocate to a state I disliked, I'd rather just live as cheaply as possible there. No reason to get involved with people there other than the few I have to work with say I'm forced to relocate for an LTL job in Denver, Pittsburgh, or some other winter stricken land.

Putmeincoach!! Thanks this.
  8. Putmeincoach!!

Jan 15, 2021
    I know exactly where you're coming from on much of that and could've well been in the same boat for preferences. I'm looking at the big picture lately, and I live in the region you speak of, woudnt move to denver though, not worth it, blown out/overhyped.
    Curious whats that you had an accident/rollover???

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  9. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Only thing appealing to me about Denver, and Boulder is the bicycle culture. The trail system and public transit is awesome for someone like me that doesn't really care much for car ownership(my tank of a Chevy Silverado sits in the driveway rotting about 80-90% of the year). Of course Albuquerque and Phoenix have plenty of that and don't cost as much.

Yeah, I fell asleep behind the wheel in 2007 and rolled a Swift truck. Didn't drive for three years after that and was also in and out of psych wards and low wage jobs. Tried going back to college during those years, but got into too many conflicts with younger students. It's like the accident aged me up and I still feel I never fully recovered, mentally.

10. Putmeincoach!!

Jan 15, 2021
    There's a lot of responsibility driving a truck, takes a lot of dedication to do it. Most of the people out here doing sedan deliveries shouldnt even be allowed to drive a car.

McUzi and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  11. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    That it is. It's just too bad it had to take me a near death experience to get right with myself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.