YRC Road Driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Conkleton, May 30, 2015.

1. Conkleton

Conkleton Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    I recently got my cdl 3 months ago and YRC offered me a full time over the road position at there hub here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Will this be a good start for someone like myself with little experience? Also if you have any advice or opinions on YRC will greatly be appreciated also. I would like to hear from drivers that are currently working or use to work for YRC. Preferby people in the road driver position. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Take the job do whatever you have to drive team etc. Yellow never used to hire drivers without much experience, but they need people so you will be in good shape. I drove for them in mn for 14 years and probably was the best job I ever had, but a long commute just got to be too much. GO for it!

4. gnaunited

gnaunited Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Denver, CO
    When I hired on last year they wanted at least one year OTR experience. They are currently holding CDL classes because of how short on drivers we are. Go for it, but be aware that you will be on call for a LONG TIME till a bid opens up.

5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I used to work on the dock for Yellow until the merger with Roadway which created YRC... I made more money on the dock than I do now as a local driver ( Not with YRC )... But they are a very layed back company and for you it would be a great start as a new driver... Like the other poster said you will be on call which does suck but with how short they are on drivers and how busy they are your schedule will start to be more predictable than you think, even though your on call your almost always know if they are going to call you or not... Free health insurance which is top notch... If anything get a years experience in and then decide for yourself if you want to stay or with a years experience move on...Good Luck

6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Another thing is being a road driver you will sleep in hotels every night you are out on the road unless you team... Not to bad to sleep in a hotel and have a shower any everything right there for you versus sitting at a truck stop...

7. Conkleton

Conkleton Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Thanks for the replies. Think I'm going to give them a try. I was told I would be a team road driver. They said the most I'll be out is 3-4 days. Don't know how true that is.

8. creteslinger

creteslinger Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    Great place to get started, Like mentioned above it will be a stretch of on call until a bid opens up, but its better than starting out at countless other companies i wont name.. Hope it all works out for you.. I miss the good old old days at Consolidated Freightways! But love driving ready mix these days too..

9. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    That's awesome man, not easy to get in with them even with a year behind you let alone 3 months. I interviewed with them here in Richmond but didn't get put on, not a big deal because I got another job which is basically the exact same thing. Awesome part is that since their a Union company you can't friggen beat their benefits especially the pension. When they explained the on call thing that sounded pretty bad but It seems that effects the local guys more than the road guys.

10. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    You should really ask one of their drivers about their pension

11. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I know a couple long term YRC guys, they all seem to be pretty happy with their deals. I won't pretend to know the inner working of their pension funds but they must be pretty happy with them. In any case they still have 401k's on top of them so the pension is a bonus either way. Add in the free health insurance and the higher than normal rate to begin with I don't see how you can loose. Nothings perfect of course and the guys I know are P&D guys so it could be pretty different for the road guys but in comparing what's out there it seems pretty good. I just got on with NEMF myself and don't even know all the deal with how the pension works but I know in either case I'm being paid more for my time, will have good benefits, and right now that's what matters.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.