YRC, Southeastern or RL Carriers

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by rookie2016, Apr 7, 2018.

1. rookie2016

rookie2016 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2016
    hey guys and gals, quick question.my family and I will be moving close to the Greenville, SC area soon possibly. these three companies are nearby where we have been looking to live. Which would you prefer and why? I'm aware of YRC'S union dues and stuff like that and their extra board. the paid insurance is very attractive for my family there. RL has a listing starting around 21hr but that' all I know about them. SEFL is just a mystery as there is very little info on them anywhere. I currently make .58 cpm doing flatbed but want to be home daily with the kiddos. any advice appreciated, thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    southeastern......partner carrier to my company.

4. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Honestly YRC is a good job but who knows if that ship is gonna sink. R&L isn’t perfect but company wise on the east coasts they are a good company. SEFL idk. R&L is a big dawg in the LTL game compared to SEFL. YRC is the biggest but financial future is very iffy. I’d go R&L linehaul if you can do nights. They are home daily.

road_runner Thanks this.
  5. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Southeastern is a solid company but as far as I know if you run linehaul as an extraboard driver you won' be home every night.

More companies are trying to get extraboard drivers home every night or every other night.. ODFL does this..

Not sure about about SEFL

6. rookie2016

Jan 18, 2016
    thanks for replying guys. I'm rather concerned about the future at yrc from what I've read. I would mind doing nights for a while till I got some seniority. SEFL is only hiring p&d right now and not sure how their bidding works. anybody know the top out pay for these companies? Also, OD, estes, Saia, Ups and fed ex are a little further out but that would be almost an hour commute.

7. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Yrc you start as a casual unless your a single person is an okay gig otherwise steer clear away from them. R&L Carriers I have spoken to their drivers and for the most part they seem content with the company the only thing that discouraged me is you have to wait 3 yrs before you get top pay, for example here in houston from what I was told they start you at 20 dls and some cent and you won't see another raise til 3 years later and will put you at 26 dls like everyone else. SEFL is a really solid company always getting raises, at this moment here in Houston they are topping out at 27 dls and some change fixing to get another raise in June.great equipment and I have also spoken to their drivers and the majority got great things to say about SEFL. Choose wisely driver good luck.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Is the YRC guy trying to welcome you or warn you?
    [​IMG]

Cardfan89 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  9. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    curious, how long til top out with SEFL?
    I'm with Dayton Freight. we top out at 2 years. Annual raise to be revealed next month during the PD driver meeting held every spring. currently we are at 26hr and .647cpm. Owner says we will see a "good" raise coming out of these tax cuts. they just raised our 401k match from 21% TO 31%........

op if I were you, I'd grab that SEFL P&D gig and wait for a linehaul slot to open up. well worth it IMO.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Texas_hwy_287 and intrepidor Thank this.
  10. rookie2016

Jan 18, 2016
    sorry meant to say I wouldn't mind working nights. anyway, SEFL also weekends off M-F. not sure how days off work at the other too. I'm leaning towards them at the moment. flatbed ain' too bad but I need the home time

11. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @mickeyrat I think is 2yrs also depend on your experience. Also @rookie2016 you can't go wrong with LTL unless you like to tarp you load while is windy or raining :D

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.