Zero Exp. Insurance

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TEEERIPPIT, Feb 4, 2011.

1. TEEERIPPIT

TEEERIPPIT Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Are there any insurance that will even insure a driver with a CDL after graduating from truck driving school with zero truck driving experience? Thanks for any help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee

yes....go to a school, get some training, apply at all the places they have available....go to work, then sell off that 1989 truck you just bought...

4. Corn

Corn Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Tn
    I think Progressive will, not sure tho.

TEEERIPPIT Thanks this.
  5. landy77

landy77 Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    In the end you will end up paying out a lot more than if you would just hire a driver with their own truck. That is up to you.

6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I would stay start with your auto insurance agent and work your way out from there. I know my buddy pays about $500/mo for the insurance policy on his truck.

Likely you'll want to do some serious shopping around just like with car insurance. With a CDL but no experience they'll probably go a little rougher on you than they would an experienced driver with a clean record, just like they do with kids when they turn 16 and get their license. They might require a hefty deposit of several month's worth of payments up front, or some may not even be willing to offer you a policy. It really depends on, well, everything. Insurance is inherently complicated.

7. farmerleach

farmerleach Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2009
    With zero experience, grab your toes and assume the position. It is very expensive for the first year. Here in Alberta, if I recall its about $15,000 per year for a truck valued at $80,000. Trailers and cargo insurance, was a little less, $14,000. The guy who called to tell me my quote, said you better be sitting down.

Another thing to note, Farm driving, isn't classified as experience. If your up grading your licence from a class 3, (Single vehicle without trailer, no axle # restrictions) to class 1, (same as a CDL in the states I think) our class 3 experience doesn't count.

If your Under 25, Its even more. I think in Canada you can't be refused insurance, they just it so expensive you can't afford it. I know a guy who has had 5 impaired, and 2 careless driving convictions in the last 15 years or less. He really shouldn't be driving, but when ever he gets his license back he is always able to get insurance. He was paying something like $900 a month to insure a 1999 Chev pickup.

Its do able but you really have to have you poop in a group.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.