zf-as-tronic transmission problem.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by bo_le, Nov 9, 2014.

1. bo_le

bo_le Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Hi dear friends,

I am new here and my English is no so good, so I hope you'll have nerves to read and hopefully give some kind of help.

I am trying to fix an problem with ZF-AS-TRONIC transmission electronic module.
    When engine is started transmission won't switch to neutral for some time till engine and transmission is heated up.
    We have found that if we heat top of the actuator module with heat gun, it speed up this process significantly.

According to the operators manual, all this may happens if ambient temperature is below -20 deg. Celsius.

But the problem is that it happens in relatively hot day every time engine is cold started. As I have found there is oil temp. sensor in transmission actuator and it is connected to the transmission controller electronic board, but is seems like it is ok. I suspect there is other on-board ambient temp. sensor that may be faulty.
    I've tried to locate this sensor on the printed board but without success.

Found this picture here on forum.

DSC_9334.jpg

This is same board as mine.

Can someone help about this problem? I see there are many experts so I hope someone may help me to solve this.
    Is there some on-board temperature sensor that can be source of this like problem?

I will be glad to get any kind of help.
    Thanks and best regards...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 04 LowMax

04 LowMax Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Alberta
    Check out Pablo's response, below. He is much more knowledgeable than me.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Usually clutch ore tranny brake problem

Every time u turn igninition on TCU runs clutch test - depress it fully and release to calibrate clutch travel. after u start engine TCU does the same but slooowly to calibrate grip point. If clutch is worn ore tranny brake is worn ore oil is too thik (till cold), input shaft keeps rotating with clutch depressed.

To be sure remove TCU fuse when engine runs and TCU will skip this test (previous test data stored in EPROM will be used).

My client has bad tranny brake on his freightliner and he cycled ignition swith but so quikly that engine did not stall. He did it to limp home.

BTW, what truck do u work on? U can use ZF software (via J1708,1939 ore ISO 9141 connection) ore u can use truck brand specific software.

5. bo_le

bo_le Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Thanks for comments,

At this moment transmission is dismounted so I can not do tests but I'll be able to do it soon.

If I catch you, I must restart TCU whilst engine is running to fool TCU and skip clutch test, right?

I work on IVECO EUROSTAR truck and have not any kind of software at the moment. Some time ago guy who did diagnostic found there is temp sensor in TCU reading -10 degC whilst ambient temp is above zero. That is why I suspect there must be some onboard temp sensor but I have not more details about what he have found.

Weird thing is that now at +15 degC it takes about one hour to worm up and to switch to neutral. If it is cold it takes longer.

The fact they did not say to me before is that there is error displayed on transmission panel display, about 10 minutes after engine start.
    Spanner is displayed at first and error code 32 can be read.
    After additional 30 seconds or so, STOP and spanner are displayed together and now error 154 can be read following after error 32. Now if you restart engine it starts again from the begining.
    Error will disappear when engine rises temperature of transmission box. As I have said it takes long time.

I do not know what error 32 means. Can't find that error on the list in manual.

But, if top cover of tranny actuator where electronic PCB is located is heated with hot air gun, transmission switch to neutral possition in just 3 minutes without any error displayed.

It is hard to believe that anything else but electronic board can be heated in just 3 min. There must be cold solder junction or faulty temperature sensor in TCU but that is just my opinion and I may be wrong.

Like to hear from you guys.

6. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Really it is usual problem of AsTronic and I-shift - PCB damage with vibration and thermal steress. U may have cracks in lead. Trace temperature sensor conductors and heat it with soldering iron ore soldering heater (IR is better, but hot air works too) to melt lead and fill cracks. Sometimes operation amplifiers ore resistors go bad too, sometimes analogue ports of processor.

It is not easy deal to find this problem, but if u r lucky, u will do it

7. bo_le

bo_le Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Repairing solder joints is not a problem but signal trace on this board is a hard task. Do you or someone else have circuit diagram of this board?
    There is one temp sensor rinsed in oil and I have located it, but is it possible there is on board sensor?
    I have no tech info about the electronic board. Is there some tech manual that may be helpful?
    I can do a reflow of whole board but it may produce other faults and than I am in trouble. :)

Many many thanks for your help friend.

If you have any additional comment please...

8. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Call the zf hot line at least here in us they will give u website where u can download software for free it comes in really ####### handy as it tell u clutch stroke and all active and Inactive faults

9. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Diagram is the insider's information of ZF and Wabco. They will never let it out, so any who fix truck electronics does reverse engeneering

10. bo_le

bo_le Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Yes I know diagram is secret information but if I ask, it will not kill me . :)
    Reverse engineering is hard to do on this board if you do not like to destroy it.

I will inform you about the progress if there is any.

Regards.

11. bo_le

bo_le Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Bradlyc Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.