ZF SACHS twin XTEND clutch reset procedure problem

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RocketyMan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I have a unit installed with a ZF SACHS twin XTEND clutch that must have jumped a tooth on the adjustment causing a no release issue. It's with an eaton 18 speed and I think the customer got the clutch to over-engage because he was hooking up rail cars and must have slammed the next position over when trying to reverse.

Unlike the Solo clutches, I cannot for the life of me find a way to reset the tightening mechanism on this ZF clutch. With the solo clutches, there was this procedure to reset it by grabbing onto the slider and moving it all the way to the "new" position. With this ZF, I can't find anything similar.

I know the clutch is still good as the indicator is still at the "new" position, but I bet it's just one cog too tight causing it to not release, aka, can't shift into gear. All the clearances checked out fine for the trans brake and

Does anyone have any idea how to reset the ramps? It's difficult to tell the customer he needs a new $1200 clutch when his truck only has 22k miles on it. Warranty won't honor it because it's denoted as "driver abuse." Oh..and of course Meritor is no help. Go figure.

2015 Cascadia, DD15, Eaton 18sp.

s-l1600.jpg ZF SACHSs-l1600.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.