Zonar EVIR

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by davenjeip, Jul 7, 2010.

1. davenjeip

davenjeip Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    Electronic Vehicle Inspection Report

http://www.zonarsystems.com/products/evir/

The way I understand it is pretty similar to a hand held bar code reader, where you have to scan markers on certain parts of the truck and it tells you what you are supposed to inspect on your PTI. The goal is to get drivers who normally don't inspect their vehicle (or don't know how) to actually do their job.

Was sent for some training today at another company, and they are implementing this system in a trail phase. Sounds like they are looking to have it for their entire fleet, and my company might be installing them in the next few years.

Sounds to me like it just allows drivers to be even less knowledgeable about their equipment. IMO, if you can't and/or don't perform a PTI on at least a daily basis, you have no business being behind the wheel.

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrainHurtz

BrainHurtz Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Terre Haute, In
    To my understanding its doesn't really have anything to do about being more or less knowledgable about the vehicle. Its about making sure people do their daily check instead of checking off the boxes on a piece of paper.

Apparently something like 10-15% of daily checks are done, the rest are skipped or falsely reported as being done.

So... apparently 90% of the drivers shouldn't be driving... I guess thats about right...

4. Tecmek

Tecmek Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2017

When using the evir, scanning in the chips, does that still have to be logged under pre trip, or does it keep track of the time and start it on its own? I haven't found a straight forward answer on that. Some say to just scan it and not switch duty status, some say, switch duty status.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.