08 D16 fan clutch/temps Sensor?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by atv_idiot, Jul 18, 2018.

1. atv_idiot

atv_idiot Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Earlier this week while headed out on vacation with the family my 08 D16 started acting weird. (used to haul 5th wheel toy hauler)
    On the analog gauge the temps started running a little higher than normal and the fan clutch wasnt kicking in until the gauge started hitting around 210*. Now normally it would kick in much sooner and the truck wouldnt run as hot. Mind you I am only pulling around 24,000lbs and no serious grades. Outside ambient temps were ranging from 85* to 100*. When flipping through the digital display of my gauges, I noticed the coolant temps were off 30* to 50*. So while the analog gauge showed 180*ish the digital side showed 145* (this is while running 65mph rolling down the highway. And at times I would see 201* on the digital display while the analog side showed 185*. My concern is that I am headed back to Las Vegas with the temps around 115* and would prefer not to overheat and hurt the truck.
    Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    That's "normal" Volvo fan on temp.
    (TOO HOT)

Temps of 210° F or more is WAY too hot IMO ...I STRONGLY think it a big part of the reason they have a plague of their injector cups failing..... way too much expansion/contraction from radical temperature swings.

Put a manual fan switch on it.

Before, the AC high pressure switch may have been cycling the fan keeping your coolant temps lower on average.

Also, clean the cooling stack at least once a year if you're full time on the road.

Simple maintenance I like to do is douse the stack with simple green, let soak 10-15 mins minimum and then spend at least 10 mins thoroughly pressure washing everything multiple times.

Usually you notice a difference on the first trip back out.. doesn't heat up as fast.

4. atv_idiot

atv_idiot Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Thanks KB3.
    What I find strange is that it used to kick on MUCH sooner. Where could I find info on wiring in a switch for the fan clutch? Is that something that is sold as a "kit", or something I would wire in myself? I would just need to know where to find the "trigger" to kick it on/off as needed.
    As for the cooling stack... I actually wash it out at least twice a year and I put less than 10,000 miles on it a year. I see it as preventative maintenance.
    I made the our drive south this morning to get a coolant sensor from the dealer in Idaho Falls. When locating that, I found my coolant reservoir leaking at the bottom. And it looked like it just started. A quick repair back at the campground and I hope it can get me 4 hours south to the dealer in Salt Lake. Fingers crossed that it was just a sensor going bad.
    Again, thanks, but some info would be greatly appreciated on a manual switch for the fan clutch

5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    If you can't fix it, get it to a Mack dealer they will fix it.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    No problem.
    I wonder if you were losing coolant pressure since finding that leak...hmmmm... may possibly have found a big part of your D16 cooling issue. Proper pressure is pretty critical on them.

I did a thread with the manual fan switch DIY a few years ago, will see if i can get a link for you..

Here ya go;

2008 VNL780 adding manual fan switch

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  7. atv_idiot

atv_idiot Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Thanks KB3! Did you fuse the 12v+ going to Pin19? I have 3 auxiliary switches on my dash that I have NO idea what they are for. I'm wondering if I can re-purpose one of them and just use the 12v out to Pin19?

My reservoir held up and almost got me to SLC before it started leaking pretty bad. Topped it off with some water just to make it to the dealer.. Grabbed a new one at the dealer, swapped it out and made it home that night. Truck ran a little warm on the way home, but average temps were 95-110 outside.
    Now my water pump is weeping... Does the fan assy need to be removed to replace the water pump? It loos like I may be able to slip it out without removing the fan?

Thanks again!!

8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Yes, a 5a fuse is a good idea just in case..

And yes you can repurpose the AUX switch for manual fan operating, that's what I did on my 16' ... works great

9. atv_idiot

atv_idiot Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Thanks again KB3!! Greatly appreciate the info!

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.