10 speed vs 13 speed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OneCosmicGuy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. OneCosmicGuy

OneCosmicGuy Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Looking to buy my own truck.... I've been limiting my searches to just 13 speeds because in the past, I think just about everyone says to buy a 13 speed if possible, rather than a 10 speed, because they are better on fuel. It seems that 13 speeds also cost more (used market). Given that I'm seeing lots of fleet trucks on the market, and I think every single one of them is a 10 speed, if the fuel economy justifies the additional price, why do the big fleets not use them? Any thoughts? Any facts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    10 speeds are the norm in used trucks because that is what the fleets buy. Easier to train on a 10 speed. However, a 13 speed will save you a fair amount of fuel and time. Being able to split the gears climbing will keep you rolling faster than the poor schmuck (like me) who has to lose twice the road speed to drop a gear. 13 speeds also give you more use of your engine's powerband, very useful with heavier loads.

DoubleO7 and OneCosmicGuy Thank this.
  4. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    13&18 easier on the tranny if there's lots of horsepower involved

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    The main reason for the 9 and 10 speeds is the shorter time frame from training new drivers to putting them in truck pulling paying freight. Remember the Super 10? Lo and split 4 gears, supposed to be real simple for the new driver but they still blew them up too easy. So they went with a 10 speed, shift it like a car then flip the range and keep shifting like a car about as dumbed down as they could make it.

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I hate, loathe, and despise a Super10. I hate them worse than I hate autos, and I really hate autos.

7. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    Then youve never learned how to shift one. If it had more range from lo to OD, I would prefer one.

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Rather run a super ten than a 7 speed. Now there's a junk pattern for you. No splitting just tiny bit over each time :/

rollin coal, wore out and Cetane+ Thank this.
  9. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    I prefer 13's...however if this is your first truck and you will be grossing 80000# and under in the midwest, just buy the best truck that you can afford. You can always upgrade trucks later. I have the worst spec'ed truck for what I do. 430 hp, 10 spd, 3:36 rears pulling a three axle flatbed grossing around 100000# sometimes. It gets the job done and it is paid for. Though I primarily stay in the rust belt + KY,TN,AL, PA, VA.

2013Maxx and OneCosmicGuy Thank this.
  10. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    Anyone remember the performance 9 spd?

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  11. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Just keep it in high range and pretend it's a five speed.
    Serious, my brother-in-law caught a lift from a fellow company driver, that was new, from Toronto to Bracebridge. The guy never took it out of high range and just feathered the clutch to get-her-going in and out of the traffic.
    Brother-in-law told his boss about it, but he just shrugged his shoulders. A week and a half later it was in the shop for a new clutch.
    A ten speed is fine and will do the job, a thirteen is nicer to have but not necessary. All modern engines have such a wide torque curve that a close ratio tranny is not necessary for the average five axle truck. If the price savings is large enough, I'd put up with it. But I'd still prefer a 13/18 spd.

heyns57 and OneCosmicGuy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.