10 Years on TTR

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by scottied67, Mar 12, 2020.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Wow where has 10 years gone? I joined TTR March 14 2010. But in the preceding weeks leading up to joining I spent a ton of time reading posts and threads trying to learn about the trucking industry as I was going to trucking school in those days.

I worked construction for 19 years prior to becoming a trucker, and after 10 years of trucking, things have come full circle. I will be going back to construction now to finish out my career before retiring.

Trucking has changed significantly in the very short snapshot from 2010 - 2020. I started out on paper logs then graduated to AOBRD which, as strict as they were, did have some flexibility. Then around November of 2019 my company implemented the full ELD mandate that most of us work under today.

In the paper loggin' days, parking wasn't the problem like we have today. Oftentimes you could just pull over to an onramp a mile or two before the truck stop exit late at night and sleep for 4-5 hours then roll into the truck stop and finish your ten hour break when other drivers were stirring and leaving to begin their shifts.

Today you would have to finish that full 10 at the onramp at the risk of getting a parking ticket along with the inconvenience of no hot/cold running water/food/restrooms etc. Otherwise you'd have to roll into the truck stop only to find there were no parking at all and would have to make your own spot.

In 2010 truck parking was pretty much free all over with a few exceptions like TA/Petro in West Memphis/Baltimore/Ontario. Walmarts were pretty much truck friendly places all over the country back then as well with a few exceptions.

In 2020, the Man has taken advantage of the ELD Mandate to charge drivers to park and is actively booting trucks at Walmarts and charging the drivers exorbitant amounts to remove said boots.

In any case, it has been an interesting 10 year chapter in my life, got to see 46 of the 48 states and picked up 3 Canadian provinces in my trucking travels. I hope to make it another 10 years on TTR as well and love reading and sharing trucking experiences. It will definitely be interesting to read about the drivers who are coming into trucking today and their 10 year take on the industry in 2030.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Will you still make videos in your construction life?

Coffey, Dave_in_AZ, D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I did make a few back in the 90's which are up on my channel. I would love to make more as time goes forward as well.

Coffey, Dave_in_AZ, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Congratulations.

I don't think I would have run as expected under the new ELD. Ive had too much freedom on paper. Literally did what was necessary all around with that truck.

Ive always said dispatcher will just have to wait until morning. What a morning that will be.

Coffey, Dave_in_AZ, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Hang in there, Scottie. I follow your channel with the wife, as time permits. We have bets: I'll win: You'll be back out here within 2020... Left door closed, turning miles. :) Bet I win~!

Either way, please keep us posted. Something about AB5 or the one second rule...not clear. Didn't know about that one, either. Female trucker wannabes talk gibberish at times, LoL .. ;) (meaning my wife ONLY, to clarify! Don't know any others, haha!) Just wish you the best, sir! Know we made a difference in our 'right turn' thread. WE were correct...300 plus (?) pages later!!!!

Best to you,

Tom

Coffey, Dave_in_AZ, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I agree, bet you will be back within a year or two. The diesel is flowing in those veins.

Coffey, Dave_in_AZ, D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  8. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    What say you, @JReding .. wanna get in on the bets?!? ;)

Bean Jr., Coffey, Dave_in_AZ and 3 others Thank this.
  9. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    If @scottied67 is able to get out of this life successfully, I will be very happy for him.

But I don't know...

@G13Tomcat , I think you may possibly be right. Scottie, I know you want out, but @rachi may be onto something when he said that diesel is flowing in your veins.

As I've said before, you need to do what is ultimately right for you, and I'll stand behind you on it, brother.

10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio

As will I... either way. Scottie and I established the RULES for the right hand turn, man!!!

I haven't escaped in 30 years myself, and the only 'out' I have is teaching the wife. She 'can' when she wants to, and is afraid of doing it 'alone.' I'd hate to ship her off to CRST, yet I know I can't train her, haha! (BTDT..nope!)

Bean Jr., RedRover, tscottme and 7 others Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ahem, that'll be the watered down bio deisel //Mild teasing. He he.

Nothing but good thoughts today.

Dave_in_AZ, D.Tibbitt, rachi and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.