1st Day.... Doh!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WesternPlains, Jan 9, 2018.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Maybe I should go ahead and get a CB. Even if I have it off most of the time.

End of week one. Things are going good. Not much to say. Learning the trailer. He's about to stick me with doing it all myself. Just stand back and let me do it.
    We did have one bakery bring out goodies to us yesterday. Had two trucks unloading at the same time. The other driver took the large bag of doughnuts all to himself. My trainer wasn't happy with him about that. We still got several flats of brownies. Passed them out all over, to people who don't have access to this. Like our mill people.
    I got the weekend off. Results of the slow time of the year. Oh well. Getting oriented with Denver. Kind funny. Denver does road signs different. The marking on a sign of E or W. That is for a north south road, indicating how far east or west it is from the dividing line (road). Kinda threw me at first. Kept driving down Colorado Blvd. It kept saying 4000E. I thought I was in the twilight zone.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Personally, the more communication tools I have at my disposal, but better. Even if it only acts as a security blanket. I plan on rolling with my CB on (whether or not that changes in the future remains to be seen maybe there are too many idiots on there, I don't know). People chewing me out because they don't like my driving shouldn't bother me too much. You also get some advanced weather warning or maybe you'll hear people complain there are no parking at a stop you were planning on hitting, and now you have time to plan something else. My step grandpa loves his CB. Even the newer tools like apps wont tell you accurate parking availability all the time. Probably the truck lot managers get on there and click the button there is parking available when there isn't. That's assume of course the yahoo on the CB isn't blowing smoke, either.

Even if criticism I get is rude on the cb, I'd rather get it rudely then not at all and continue on down the road "doing it wrong."

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    6 loads this week totaling 375,000 pounds if white powder delivered. Has your trainer plugged up the line yet to show you how to clear it? Two of the different Bakeries I deliver to in the Seattle area, both are owned by Centennial Mills. One does frozen goods the other a crap load of other stuff that Im not sure what. But the take 5 different flours on both truck n railcar, two different kinds of dry sugar from trucks and I think wet sugar or oil of some sort on railcars.

Attached Files:

Oxbow, WesternPlains and Fuelinmyveins Thank this.
  5. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    He keeps trying to get it stuck for me. No go so far. He wants me to clear it.
    In the book. It has several ways to clear. The trainer? He uses all of them all at once. He don't fool around. :)

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Still haven't gotten the trailer stuck yet. Still trying.
    My boss told me how much the N.Dakota run pays. I came back to the hotel and looked up the mileage. It works out to 67 cents a mile. :cool:
    I get to do a run down to Pueblo tomorrow. It's just a drop and hook. They're lacking something at their mill. Never been there. Look forward to it.

Oxbow, SingingWolf, TravR1 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Heh, and the first thing you're going to do is put the hammer down, right? :D

WesternPlains and KillingTime Thank this.
  8. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    One of my favorites:

''It's better to keep your
    mouth shut and appear stupid than
    open it and remove all doubt'' - Twain.

Dan.S, Cattleman84, Oxbow and 6 others Thank this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Get your trainer to call an experienced driver to tell him how to plug up a line.
    I got real lucky when I had my first plugged up line. Our number one driver just happened to be unloading next to me.
    Watching him unplug that line by sucking it back in the tank was odd as hell, the tank and truck was jumping all around. I hope I can do it like he did.

10. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Gno reeds gud.

I alluded to a special helmet some time ago, way back..... and see my previous post in this thread. Lol.

Dan.S, WesternPlains and SingingWolf Thank this.
  11. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    You notice they ain't been back since I said that either. :D

Yes I'm taking credit :p lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.