2 years and you'll have it made...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WesternPlains, Mar 21, 2020.

1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I 2nd that. There are so many much better co's to work for. The thing is THEY dont advertise or even recruit. You have to find them.

You're excited to go drive for a co that WILL stick a camera on you, limits your truck to 65mph and is a auto. Thats not very high asperations.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I've been doing Walmart. I'm going back doing Walmart next week. But not for Walmart.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  4. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    No... I didn't tell you that. Attitude like that. You must be a supertrucker.

xlsdraw, Texas_hwy_287 and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  5. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Peoplenet does suck

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  6. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    You tell me who can get me home to Rapid City SD? Who?
    You tell me who will hire out of Rapid City, SD.
    Since you know I have so many choices here. Why don't you teach me.
    I dumped Oil Field. Yes, money. But money isn't everything. If it was, I could be walking all over all of you with Testing Electrical Apparatus.
    Dedicated wallyworld for Crete out of North Platte is really good. We walk all over OTR for Crete. Many of those OTR guys come to help. They whine and can't handle it either. It ain't easy. They pay the dedicated out of Cheyenne much more than us. But we still make more money than them. They waste tons of time in Denver.
    There are many things to consider with what is the best job for you.
    Also... I'm not interested in OTR anymore. Dedicated is the job for me personally.

So lets cut the ego posts.

7. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Dedicated WallyWorld is very easy imo. For an outside carrier having to use their call center for every stop is a pain for sure. I have 5 days exp pulling vans now. I was way out of my comfort zone because of the constant bumping docks.

I found it way easier to back a van than a flat. I was surprised. I think it has to do with not being able to see over or through your trailer. I had to focus on the spot/tires/and tracking solely.

WesternPlains and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  8. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    People should understand what I have chosen is for me personally. I showed other choices I have. I don't want them.
    When I went to work for Crete. It wasn't choosing Crete. It was choosing the particular job of dedicated wallyworld. A job they said they would get me home every week for my 34. And they do.
    Now I've done OTR. I became too obsessive compulsive. Got to where all I did was run. Didn't take care of myself. I ran recaps as much as 6 weeks straight. That ten hour clock was up and I was outta there. I knew I needed something different. It was wisdom. I was going straight down hill with my health.
    I also won't run OTR with the way peoplenet is now. No way. It's bad enough with Dedicated. But workable. The FMCSA should be cited by DOT for violation of regulations. That requiring the log to go On Duty Driving automatically. It does it when the truck is parked. Even with the engine off. That is a blantant violation of regulations. And FMCSA is requiring On Duty Driving can't be changed by anyone.
    There are very good things about Crete.
    Yes they are definitely a Mega. But they are conservative. They follow all the rules. Get people in Lincoln who are too anal. But the people making the decisions. The upper management. They are pretty level headed. Obviously they drove. They had me under their thumb at the beginning. They didn't push down. You won't find yourself in a meeting. Answering knit picky questions about missing that stop sign or speed limit sign by ten feet.
    We have many older guys in North Platte. Many of them have many years with the company.
    They have excellent benefits. Not overpaying for insurance.
    They always bow to safety. It means something with Crete. You say no. Ain't no argument. Period.
    Also North Platte Operations is great. Should I say they're special? No BS whatsoever with them. A great place to work as a driver.

Loudstacks, TravR1 and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  9. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I found that a well greased 5th wheel helps a ton with backing. If I did keep a trailer on the truck. I found about two weeks. Then I needed to regrease the 5th wheel. I could thread a needle with that trailer. But any lack of grease. Backing got to be a hassle.
    Also I agree. I find Dedicated Wallyworld to be easy. That's just me personally.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  10. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Every mega company has a few dedicated gigs that are actually good. The company policies are crazy for most, but most of those drivers in those gigs are happy netting 700-1000 a week and working M-F.

Nothing wrong with it if a driver is happy with it. Some people don’t want status or mega money, many enjoy a laid back gig that satisfies their needs.

There are billions of people in this world, who gives a rats butt about the opinion of a few o_O

Hazmat Cat and WesternPlains Thank this.
  11. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Got my license and went straight to local. God bless y’all for putting in the years otr, I wouldn’t have done it. Keep on trucking, get home soon.

WesternPlains and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.