2009 Maxxforce DT turbo actuator not working

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Qwaaar, May 6, 2024.

1. Qwaaar

Qwaaar Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Truck is gutless. SPN 8321 FMI 7

The actuator cycles when I cycle the key. I can also push the actuator manually to create boost, however the actuator does not work when driving the truck.

Turbo is fine, all clean inside and no signs of oil.

I had someone check the power to the turbo and they said it seemed fine. Do I need to replace the actuator?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Another Maxxforce DT problem | TruckersReport.com Trucking Forum | #1 CDL Truck Driver Message Board (thetruckersreport.com)
    See post #4.

4. Qwaaar

Qwaaar Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2014
  5. Qwaaar

Qwaaar Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Anywhere I can get a pin out diagram for the turbo? I’m convinced this is an electrical issue.

6. sirrepairsalot

sirrepairsalot Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Canada
    There are normally three wires to an actuator. One for Power, One for Ground and One for output to the computer for actual positioning. When the computer is activated (ignition cycled to "on") the computer performs a sweep of all actuations, meaning the VGT will perform a zero to full sweep. The computer will measure the input at the other wire. What I suspect is happening is the vgt is given a stepped voltage at key on, that the ecm cannot see the interupted voltage exhibited during normal, slower movements of the actuator leaving it in "limp mode". Its easy to send voltage to something and it function as needed but try the Pulse Width Modulated way and that's when problems show their faces. I would test the circuit integrity and the return signal voltage in each key on and running charactristics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.