2015 d13 no crank

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Elroythekid, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Parked last night it was fine. Everything seems fine when you turn the key on, no crank. No codes. Service guy came said starter. Replaced it. No go. Checked fuse able link suggestion by Volvo mechanic, it's fine.
    Can you "jump the solonoid and get it to turn over?
    Any suggestions?

Johny41 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    How old are the batteries? I have had bad batteries do the no crank on a 2013 d13, then crank fine later on. Also, my fusable link had a bad spot in it and I had no power when it messed up. I would have to pull it completely out and tie hot to hot. I would load test the batteries if you can first.

4. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Batteries are fine fuse able link is fine? Is there a solenoid on the firewall you can jump?

5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Solenoid looks like it’s mounted to the starter in the online pics. I would also check the ignition switch fuse and the starter relay. Starter relay should be mounted to the firewall. Here is a similar thread,

2015 VNL780 Starting issues

6. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I read that thread already and it said he jumped it from the relay or solenoid on the firewall? Didn't seem to be one there? Tried on the starter and no go. The truck is a friend's truck he's stranded till the hook cones to get him and take it to a dealer. I was hoping to get him some info.
    Thanks for the replies.

7. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    What about the battery cut off switch above the batteries?

8. Mudman78

Mudman78 Light Load Member

May 23, 2016
    Check the battery master disconnect switch mounted on the frame above the batteries. The cables on the back loosen causing a bad connection.

9. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Wire loom that goes to the starter solenoid was tied up wrong (from the factory) and chafed thru causing a short. All fixed. Wasn't cheap by the sounds of it, starter, hook, then the dealer... but it's fixed. Thanks for the replies!

Metalicious Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    So, what about the perfectly good starter that was changed for no reason? Why is he on the hook so to speak for that?

Metalicious and Oldironfan Thank this.
  11. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i Just had this issue every time you would go to crank the truck wouldn't crank and burn a fuse, figured out that when they replaced the clutch they bit the starting wire between bell housing and engine and it would constantly short out the circuit.

Oldironfan and Elroythekid Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.