2015 Prostar in cab 5th wheel release

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by loose_leafs, Dec 24, 2020.

1. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    I'm stuck in a Prostar for possibly a month, how do I get this 5th wheel release switch to work?

The instructions say to hold the button down until the warning buzzer tone changes, but the minute I release the truck parking brake the tone stops and the 5th wheel won't release.

Is there I certain order or sequence I'm supposed to be doing things? (releasing brake, putting it into gear, holding button, etc)

Truck is a 10 speed auto, which is more frustrating.

The release is extremely difficult to pull by hand, worse in the cold. To the point that I might throw out a rotator cuff in my shoulder if I keep trying to release it manually.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drlmi

drlmi Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Ypsilanti, MI
    The fact that it is hard to pull out by hand is probably an indication that the air cylinder that pushes it out when you push the dash button is bad. They definately make it harder to pull out as you are pulling the cylinder and the fifth wheel. On mine I give it 20 seconds or so from the time the tone changes. At that point is when it is supposed to be released. The only thing that happens sometimes is if there is rearward pressure on the king ping, same as any fifth wheel, sometimes release the brakes hold the trailer handle down and reverse against the king ping to relieve the pressure then reset the brakes. Maybe the little coiled air line that goes to the cylinder is kinked. The only other thing I can think of is replace the air cylinder, or eliminate it to make it easier to pull by hand.

As far as how you are doing it, that sounds correct to me, exactly the same steps I do.
    1. Set all brakes.
    2. Push and hold button
    3. Listen for solid tone to turn to beeping.
    4. Give it a couple more seconds, release fifth wheel button.
    5. Release parking brake, drive out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.