34 hour reset logging question.

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by RunningAces, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I dont see a multi million dollar law suit coming from moving a vehicle under 20 mph on private property... But I do see what you're getting at. The FMCSA needs to go through the regs and clean out all the contradictions... They need to pick either have thier cake, OR Eat thier cake... They shouldnt be able to have both.

D.Tibbitt and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, it would not be for happening once, it would be a "systematic disregard for operating in a safe, legal manor" or so other bs wording that basically says "Hey we found a technically and my client hit your parked truck and killed himself, so because of that you owe our client (dead idiot's family) 90 million dollars.
    After all the Werner suit was basically that. Most of the arguments I read was how Werner has poor training. Not who was at fault in that specific case, but that Werner basically didn't hire million mile accident free drivers.

Heck, I'd be happy if they would simply clean up the guidance. There's still one talking about requiring 8 hours in the sleeper (not for a split).

gentleroger and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    How about this one:
    • ops sent a driver a message to call in the morning
    • Driver completed a 10 hour break and called in, had a short converstation about appointment times , then waited 10 minutes for ops to call him back with an answer. Then waits an hour to start his pretrip.
    • Driver gets into a fender bender with a pov. I don't remember the details but it was "both y'all are Grade A morons " situation.
    • POV sues and wins because our driver was "fatigued " and "in violation of the HOS" because of the phone calls with ops.
    It's entirely bogus, but it's the world we exisit in. Any hint of contributory negligence is enough to kill a company.

And as Zvar said - this isn't settled, black letter law. Depending on how you read the regulations an argument can be made that scaling and adjusting your tandems should be logged on the drive line.

ZVar Thanks this.
  5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    No but you cannot be logged as sleeper. I just log off duty always have, except if I am doing a split. split is the only time I log sleeper.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  6. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Not true, the time out of the sleeper can not be logged as sleeper, but the time in the sleeper can be logged as off duty.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You are not required to log phone call as on duty.

8. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    Yes, I am well aware of the interpretation that says short phone calls are not required to be logged on duty. However interpretations have no force of law, and the judge ruled the argument valid, thus letting the jury decide for themselves.

The rules are ambiguous, their implementation is haphazard, and enforcement is all over the place.

9. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    I invite your thoughts on 395.8 (h) (2) :

Sleeper berth. A continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of time off duty resting in a sleeper berth, as defined in §395.2.

scottied67 and ZVar Thank this.
  10. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Related, I have seen many drivers log all of their sleeper time as Off Duty and pass inspections. Technically, time in the actual rack is suppose to be logged as sleeper, but lots of inspectors don't seem to trigger as long as there are 10 hours off duty showing instead.

Dave1837 Thanks this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Bad advice. All time in the sleeper must be logged as sleeper. Any other status showing while your body is in the sleeper is log falsification. True, sleeper time is off duty time but it is a specific place in the Universe where you are taking that off duty time which must be logged truly, completely and accurately. It is in the green book.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.