34 hour reset logging question.

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by RunningAces, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Grayghost2016

Grayghost2016 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Miramar, Fl
    Yes, just log all the way out until you’re ready to start again. You’ll be good. I will say when doing a 34 reset make sure you find somewhere with good food options. Lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    No one logs truely accurate all the time, If I'm going to sleep I would might log sleeper, but more than likely If I'm off duty for the full 10 hours I will just log off duty 10 hours, in over 30 years never had a problem with that.

4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    It is actually a felony to falsify the logbook.

MYTH 3: A driver must record at least 15 minutes on his log for a pre-trip inspection.

This is a whopper of a tale told by truck stop lawyers. 49 C.F.R. Sec. 395.8 requires all time recorded on a log to be accurate. If you log five minutes for an inspection that actually took 15 minutes to perform, then you are guilty of log falsification, which is a felony.......

Article here:
    MYTH 3: A driver must record at least 15 minutes on his log for a pre-trip inspection.

This is a whopper of a tale told by truck stop lawyers. 49 C.F.R. Sec. 395.8 requires all time recorded on a log to be accurate. If you log five minutes for an inspection that actually took 15 minutes to perform, then you are guilty of log falsification, which is a felony.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Show me where it's a felony? Oh you cant because it isn't one.

It's illegal, but it's not a felony.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  6. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I think the 15 minute thing is from the old paper log days and it being the smallest increment on them.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I think it can be used as a predicate to create a felony.

I.E. ZVar rear ends a ve-hikle - not a felony. However the ensuing investigation shows that ZVar was a naughty driver and had [gasp] FALSIFIED [gasp] his log, thus elevating his fender bender.

I'm not sure on the particulars, but you get the gist of where I'm heading. It takes an action from negligence to recklessness. I doubt it takes it to "knowingly" levels, unless it's a fatigue issue.

I think it would play into the initial charges/indictment and would certainly impact the penalty phase of any trial.

Dieselboss and ZVar Thank this.
  8. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

You have moved the goal post

9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    No, I have not.

Scotty posited that log falsification is a felony.

Zvar said, "yeah, no".

I said a log falsification can be used as a predicate and/or to modify mens rea.

What happened was a discussion between two or more rational individuals. There was no semantic monkey business, no false equivalency, etc. I had not set out to prove a point and then changed what I was attempting to demonstrate midstream.

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Click the link to the Overdrive article written by @truckersjustice a lawyer who stated log falsification is a felony.

P.S. I see my post didn't have the link for some reason, I will try to post it here. He stated it under Myth #3

Trucking Law: Busting myths about inspection regulations

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I read it, nothing about logging being a felony. Want to try again?
    Also, I asked to show where it's a felony, not some opinion piece on inspections..

Timin770 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.