379 Peterbilt vibrations while under a pull & letting off throttle

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Split Decision, Jun 16, 2020.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    500-700k.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stubby the tractor

Stubby the tractor Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2019
    I run a 1991 379 and replace anything that gives me a hint that it might fail. I was inspecting the radiator on the fan side when I saw that the harmonic balancer looked as though the outer ring was moving forward on the inner section. That meant the outer ring was moving towards the fan blades but had not made contact yet. Got her back home and into the shop. The decision was made to go with a aftermarket type that had great reviews. What a difference it made. There were things going on that I did not feel or detect in the old one's failure until it was replaced. The new one is larger and changed everything about the running characteristics of the old 3406-B engine. Not saying this is your problem. Sounds like drive line problems to me. All because things were replaced does not mean that they're not defective or installed improperly. Good luck, keep us informed. Inquiring minds want to know.

201, stillwurkin and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  4. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Felt a bad vibration on my 93 years ago. Stopped raised hood, reached in with one hand and pulled outer ring the rest of the way off. That was close.... To the OP you might check your ride height. That will cause what you are describing, exactly. Btdt.

5. Jaysos

Jaysos Bobtail Member

May 10, 2021
    My truck is doing the same thing, 2003 Pete 379. Can’t figure it out, driveshaft is tight. Adjusted my ride height to factory specs.... did you ever figure it out

MissMay1980! and NightWind Thank this.
  6. Taylor transfer

Taylor transfer Bobtail Member

May 12, 2017
    My 03 pete doing same after I changed all the spindles did you figure yours out

7. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I had my drive line rebuilt and balanced solved the vibration issue for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.