54k coil.....

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Mattflat362, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Like I said, despite the fact that it's only 55 miles, between the jerk off at the shipper and the jerk off at the receiver, it's an all day sucker.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HoundDog7

HoundDog7 Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2022
    Kansas
    Not sure if you ever pulled a coil trailer, but I have and its nice. Yes they are faster to load and unload. Yes they are easier, but that's not what I'm referring to.

Depending on wait times to load or unload (apps times dont mean squat at steel places usually) then you could easily have 3 to 4 hours or more wrapped up in this deal. Just saying doing the broker a favor is not a good business model. There's a reason why that load is ending up on a list of people to cover it, the regular guys don't want it otherwise you'd never hear about it.

LoneRanger, High Stepper, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Whoa! This is my fault. My 1100 dollars prices is across the street.

55 miles, it's gonna be more expensive.

Sorry guys for my poor reading compression.

RunningAces, mtoo, JoeyJunk and 8 others Thank this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    You’re 100% right. That’s why I prefaced this deal with “no hassles”. It’s completely dependent on that.

Yes. Coil trailers are a game changer. I used to watch the Area guys be in and out, before I could get my securement done. I went into a different segment of trucking and have no idea if those guys are even around, anymore?

jamespmack and HoundDog7 Thank this.
  6. HoundDog7

HoundDog7 Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2022
    Kansas
    Absolutely. It would be interesting just to see what that does entail just for curiosity.

Oh yeah, atleast around my area there is. I don't haul steel anymore but there's still several guys running the coil trailers. Tandem and tri axles. Those are usually the guys that are pretty tight with the shippers or brokers and get pick of the litter. There's money to be made if you have the right connections, atleast around here anyway.

7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    A triaxle 42' trailer with 10' centers would make easy work of that with a standing overweight permit and nearly any truck you like.

But i dont think anyone should really touch it for less than 1000. Like everyone says, its at least a 4 hr job start to finish.

A contract for 3 a day for 2 years that guarantees 75$/ half hr over 1 hr either end takes could get it down to 750 a load (originally said day)

But i dont have that trailer, nor that size coil bag either

She would ride axle legal on my current trailer, but i try to stay away from anything over 50k, especially point loaded.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Reason for edit: Made booboo
    cke, Mattflat362, CAXPT and 2 others Thank this.
  8. tiddlytanker

tiddlytanker Light Load Member

May 4, 2017
    Minot, ND
    I was in a silent rage today while I was driving. It was because I had a few hours deadhead and the shipper closes at 3pm. Traffic and annoying drivers were fighting me. It was going to be close! Don't get me wrong, most flatbed shippers/rec are great as they are first come first serve. They have no appointments and less than 2 hour waits are the norm.

If shippers kept a second shift on just for loading, then these short runs could actually be lucrative. Since there is normally a 8 hour window or less that you can load and unload, these are trash loads.

Mattflat362 and ducnut Thank this.
  9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    No idea what either of those trailers cost, but - what happens when you buy that setup, then Joe Blow undercuts the load to $400?

Nostalgic, Blue jeans, mtoo and 9 others Thank this.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    As previously mentioned, one would have to get into a dedicated contract with whichever pays the freight bill.

If someone has one of these trailers, a nice tractor, presents well, performs well, they can make money. With all the trash can equipment and drivers running around, there are customers who can easily be swayed toward a dedicated carrier. It’s what I currently do, but, in a different segment of trucking.

cke, jamespmack, CAXPT and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If you can start early, and drop off early, I'd do it.. ..you won't even have to buy fuel lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.