6 Mo Class A Driver Looking For Suggestions

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TruckerZ0, Dec 10, 2018.

1. TruckerZ0

TruckerZ0 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Hello I have been driving for 6 months and I basically come to the conclusion I do not like the demands or dangers of trucking. I obtained my cdl to get a garbage truck job but being a female with only 6 months of Experience haven't had any luck. I've decided to try out driving school bus.. until I find my nitch.. I thought about becoming a Yard Jockey, but no place has called me yet. I'm also thinking about trying out charter coach bus as a final resort... but wondering if I went that route would I be able to receive a set local route as I do not want to drive all across state. As far as trucking, I've done local,otr, and dedicated.. just dont like it. However, I would not be opposed to teaming but only with someone I personally know and it would need to be dedicated team position. Nor do I want to do any delivery jobs or unloading. I'm running out of options and may have to go back to 9-5 If I can't decide on what do if nothing works out..just looking for advice thanks.

I know if I finish out the year better opportunities will become available but really have no more patience to deal with everyday demands of trucking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Are you in Chicago?
    How about courier service vans or cargo vans?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'd deal with the patience. It'll all come in to place eventually.

I didn't like the demands either. And I didn't have the tools you all have today for finding local work when I started.

Are there any requirements for garbage trucks? Like how long driving.

6 months isn't enough time. But before you'll know it. You will have had your cdl long enough and getting any job won't be a problem.

5. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Only thing i could suggest is being a scrap metal roll off driver.

Your preference list sticks you in a very difficult spot for any form of suggestion.

Add in dump trucks, cement mixers.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are painting yourself into a corner.

Are you SURE you want to push a big eco City bus over the same tired blocks ranging from thuggies down to elderly who need a hand at everything from coin counting to the correct street corner passed 4 stops ago.

You go to the city garage where they keep the buses and apply there. Bring some nausea medicine until you become accustomed to the front end flexing and suspension values. You will sometimes be thinking you are sitting on the end of a diving board with your axle way back there.

I don't think you have been in the right trucking work long enough to like anything. You should continue to explore by doing. It will take a little while.

CruzControhl and JReding Thank this.
  7. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    It sounds like you picked the wrong field entirely, and now you're severely limiting your options by choice. If you want a driving job, class A or otherwise, there is work involved.

If you don't have the patience for driving a truck, I question whether you'll have the patience to be a bus driver. It's not exactly easy, either. You'll be responsible for every life in that bus, and you'll be constrained on how to deal with unruly, loud kids.

I was going to say maybe UPS or FedEx, but you said no delivery jobs. The only other thing I can think of is courier, but it doesn't pay well.

One of the primary requirements when you hold a CDL is flexibility. You'll need to decide if you are willing to be flexible in an industry that never stops. It's a 24 hour a day, 365 days a year responsibility that we all share in, and absolutely necessary to the sustainability of the economy.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Well said.

JReding Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I should ask one more important question.

"What makes the OP HAPPY!?"

Once we know how to be happy and not grouchy over the apparent gravel filled pathway of trucking then maybe we find the right niche.

Farva and JReding Thank this.
  10. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I would definitely consider driving a city bus. It sounds bad but a friend of mine has done it for 17 years in San Antonio and absolutely loves it. He says he can get all the overtime he wants and is paid overtime after 8hrs a day and 40hrs a week with double pay on holidays not to mention a ridiculous pension retirement plan and medical plans. Plus the hourly rate competes with top pay from UPS.

11. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    OP when you start out your options are limited. OTR with a mega is the easiest way to get your foot in the door. As you gain more experience doors will open for better opportunities. I’ll have some myself before long.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.