A question?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Moose1958, Jan 1, 2016.

1. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    The problem is too many people are being pushed through training who should never even be in a truck.
    There shouldn't an exact time frame for training, some will pick it up in a week and others never will.

Cheeseburgers Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yes, quite a few are here as a last resort, we see their posts around here quite frequently. And that's just the people who are somewhat internet savvy, and care enough to at least take some time to post something. IMO, there are far more that care even less, and are jumping into this industry.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That's what I thought but wanted to make sure,lol.

5. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    This industry is horrible, they will do anything to make a buck. Sometimes they will force training on new guys who need to be trained themselves, they tell "trainers" how great it will be and they'll earn all this extra money.
    I've been driving for 1.5 years now and they did ask me to be trainer. I do not want to become one as I like my privacy, not being worried about my trainee hitting or doing something stupid. It's not worth a bit of extra money to me.

6. Space Boogie

Space Boogie Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    And then the world comes to an end. Nations fail. God is dead

7. finbyrd

finbyrd Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2015
    What's up with the fingerless gloves thing? I've heard people mention them but never seen anyone wear them

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Its been my experience that most of the older drivers do offer to help. I know I sure tried. In some of my past postings I told of these situations. All different drivers will make fun of you on the CBs, not just the old hands. I mean lets face it, if you make an arse out of yourself are you really expecting anybody that see's you not to laugh? All of us have done stupid! I backed under another carriers trailer once at a truck stop. I got as far as raising the landing gear before the driver came running out screaming. I had noticed the landing gear looked funny, and told the driver I made a bone head! Yes I think every driver on that row was laughing at that stupid USA Truck driver that had backed under the wrong trailer. I just took a bow and smiled. But just a quick word about the older drivers and their high horses. I get the impression you are a more green driver. If you are still trucking in 20 or 30 years you might find yourself the same way. I know there were some companies trucks I hated to park next too because chances were the driver was very green. After a while you see time in and time out these green drivers love to hit things. These green drivers also can be stubborn too. I can't tell you how many times what looked to me like a green driver would cuss me for even implying they could not do this by themselves. You finally just get so jaded you just mind your own business and get a great laugh when they do pull the boners.

DC843 Thanks this.
  9. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    hahaha that's pretty fuuny but I think I can top it. My trainer pulled up in a fuel isle for us to switch turns driving so I went in to get some snacks and drink for the road. Then I came back out and got in the drivers seat he wasn't there I figured he ran in also. a few minutes later a dude opens the drivers door and says "what the #### are you doing in my truck??" yeah wasn't even his truck it was just another red truck not even the same company. I just got into some dudes truck and sat there like a #######. Our truck was 2 down. He was cool about it when I explained what happened but #### I felt like the biggest idiot. I don't think any trainer in the history in trucking has had to say "OK so when you come back from the gas station make sure you get in the right truck."

Bob Dobalina and pattyj Thank this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    well it's better then getting in a parked trk after you shower open the curtain put your shower bag away then realize this isn't my trk.I didn't even notice all his things lol.thank God the driver wasn't there.I learned from then on remember where i park lol.

DC843 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Most of us agree that someone with four months exp to be a trainer is unsafe.what about hiring 18 yr olds for Otr?I know that's been talk but I think this yr that will become law.the owner of kb told his recruiters you even think about hiring 18 yr olds your fired.of course companies like USA and Stevens are pleased as punch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.