AAA cooper will begin paying time and a half!

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by jgarciajr40, Nov 10, 2023.

1. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    I asked some upper level management and they didn’t seem to pleased when I showed them this.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgarciajr40

Jun 18, 2016
    I will delete the file soon.

4. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Lots of guys are going to get sent home at 50 hours or less, methinks.

5. jgarciajr40

Jun 18, 2016
    it’ll take a lot of reworking their entire labour system. No dock workers at my place so I’d imagine we’ll get some dock workers, but who wants to work 70 hours a week anyway?

Also some cities only have one truck coverage.

cant do anything about drive time when you’re in Brownsville Texas and the closest terminal is weslaco

6. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Yeah they used to pay straight time no matter what. I had a buddy that was there 6+years into he went oo!

7. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    They should just end the loophole where time and half should be paid over 40 hours.

8. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    I agree. Trucking is the only place I've seen stuff like "Chinese overtime" and overtime after 50+hours and all these shenanigans. They can even only pay you straight time no overtime at all.

9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    You’d be surprised how many don’t want to work 70 hours but have to.

But, while they’ll have to adjust a lot of the operations and change their staffing processes and levels, you can best believe that is part of the long game.

Good PR already. Maybe even “Hey they pay overtime now!” Is enough to get them off of many driver’s “do not apply” list.

10. jgarciajr40

Jun 18, 2016
    that’s my guess. I see there’s a bill giving us overtime at 40 hours if that may passes.

cooper doesn’t pay sick time, or when you miss work and when I had jury duty and the judge asked for a letter from my employer saying they don’t pay for time off they magically paid me for the days I missed and said don worry about it.

My guess they didn’t want the bad PR for being part of knight-swift and having to get subsidized by the tax payer for jury duty pay.

the things companies do to avoid bad PR, but won’t don’t to simply do it because it’s the right thing to do.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  11. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Teamsters don’t want the motor carrier exception removed from FLSA. If every motor carrier has to pay overtime, that’s one less talking point for them to have in their pocket against the corporation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.