ABF Freight lying about exp. requirments?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by mowmow1, Mar 7, 2023.

1. NvySwmr626

NvySwmr626 Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2023
    this right here. LTL jobs, especially at places like ABF, Old Dominion, FXF, are SUPER competitive, especially now, and even more so at the smaller terminals. Job postings come from corporate, but the needs of the terminal posting the job may vary. Right now, depending on where you live, you need, at least, two years and all of your endorsements before they’ll even look at your application.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Central freight will take you.

4. ClevelandTrucker216

ClevelandTrucker216 Light Load Member

The one near OP constantly posts openings but upon contacting the terminal or even heading to it, they aren’t tbh.

Central here locally actually seems pretty good and I haven’t heard or seen anything bad from them either. I’ve spoke to a few employees and previously hired people as well and they have decent experiences.

5. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    Gotta understand that, over the past few months, the market has shifted from being a driver's market to a companies market.
    They cab afford to be more stringent on hiring, as there's more drivers looking than seats available.
    I know my company won't even look at grads right now, though historically, we'd take anyone with the right license and endorsements, a heartbeat and that can halfway articulate a sentence.
    Seen a few of those train wrecks come through training, and it's always a disaster.
    Op, good luck.
    If you have any talent, and want to go local, you might look at tankers.
    Solid money, no lack of work, and always home at night.

6. B.DANIELS

B.DANIELS Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2013
    That's not true. ABF will take guys with zero experience and train them. Best to at least have your permit with tankers, haz, and doubles triples then apply for city driver training school or dock position and you will get trained. And can move over to road/ linehaul. In early 2023 and was in the middle of negotiating a new contract between the Co. and the union that could be part of the reason. Or also just that particular terminal wasn't training at the time because of needs or hours/ cost. I've seen probably 50 get trained where I'm at with less than a year or zero experience. I my self had zero experience, so don't get discouraged, keep applying. Apply at all the terminals within 60 miles because usually it's one person doing the interviews for the area, and you can transfer.

7. NvySwmr626

NvySwmr626 Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2023
    Just about all of those are for current employees who want to move to a driver position. A brand new driver right out of school and not currently employed in some other facet of the company will have a very hard time (especially now) getting on with ANY LTL carrier.

8. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    That’s inaccurate. For LTL the 4th quarter is and has been since I started working in it in 1987 the WORST quarter of the year. 1st part of 1st quarter also is generally slow Q2and Q3 are the best. Regardless, keep in touch with someone local at the terminal. It can be hit and miss. Like someone else said, Central has historically not had a good rep for several decades( they used to be good back in the 70s and early 80s) but they seem to be getting better, so I would not discount them out of hand

9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I was with Central in the late 80's, when they were still Teamster. Not the best place to be.

10. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    It looks like their equipment has gotten way better tho

11. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    They are definitely a second chance LTL company in my neck of the woods

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.