? about Arnold and GP.... oops turned into longish post....

Discussion in 'Arnold' started by Krashdragon, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
    Been reading old and newish posts about Arnold.
    Since I live close to Grand Prairie, I put in an app for Arnold... just graduated couple weeks ago. Got doubles/triples and X endorsements....
    So student program....

My biggest problem is finding companies that allow females to train with male trainers.... only because there are so few female trainers.
    I personally don't care if male or female, even if they smoke or not. As long as they take a shower once a week and mostly stay away from the buffets... although the J's seem to have nothing but Denny's.... good way to diet!

Arnold seems like a good way to get a year experience other than the mega companies... my b.f. drove for Stevens in the 90's and it seems nothing much there has changed...<G>
    and for Shell in the early 80's (yeah, he's old!) and the rules were kinda different then.... running all night and popping pills seemed to be accepted practice to get the loads there... But OTOH.. he was trying to explain to me how to shift twin sticks..... hmmmmmm.

The Arnold recruiter said SW region....that's ok, I'm guessing there's might be a few more states than what she said. Of course she said miles are good.... no way would she say anything else..

$58 day training... way low compared to some others but better than nothing....
    150 hours with trainer..., then road test, then own truck. Student do dry van only. After a year you can check out the oilfield stuff.... which is what I want to do anyway.
    There's a couple local companies that run either sand, water or gravel that I could pbly get on with. However, for me, I think that I would learn how to drive and especially back up better running otr. Also, hauling gravel doesn't seem to be that big of a deal....but dumping it does. One of those how friggin far up in the air is that thing anyway... and no, the truck's not on level ground! Water also moves. "OOPS" is not a good thing in trucking.

First 90 days @ .30 cpm
    then to .33 ..loaded and empty..which leads me to believe they're not going to run much empty.... from what I've been reading here anyway....
    80% drop and hook.... and 30% sitting on one's butt waiting for other people over which you have no control...ok, she didn't say that last bit... :biggrin_25522:
    Out 12-14 days, then home time, doesn't make that much difference to me.... One of my kids is still in Hawaii and the other in L.A...... and my b.f. can run up to GP to pick me up on hometime.

Bring enuf stuff to last for 2 months?..... hmmm..... 150 hours driving 6 hours a day allowing for 2 + 2 + 2 days home time for trainer..... still is only a month..... 6 weeks at most....

One nice thing is the SW regional is not SUPPOSED to hit any of the really cold states, no West Coast ( tho that would be fine with me) and no East Coast... ( been there enuf, not that fond of driving there).

Perra (not Tara- wrong spelling) is supposed to call me after they check out my paperwork.

Any recent comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mary

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. richieryan

richieryan Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    OKC,OK
    I really know nothing about the training side of things, but you can read my experiences with the company on here. Are there other training companies you are scoping?

4. Krashdragon

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
    There's a couple, but if you have any suggestions please pm me. I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Training for Arnold is flat out regional SW. Not really a problem, my only concern is ...would that be considered otr since it does involve 7 states?
    I don't have to worry about a mortgage..l. don't have a home
    or husband...
    or b.f.... he's already done the trucking thing and does not want to repeat.....
    and kids are in LA and Hawaii....
    just a car payment since my 2002 Jeep Liberty died in May and I had to buy another vehicle .Ok, I could have taken the greydog, but I was basically stuck in the middle of New Mexico....

So while Arnold may not be the best company, if I can get on with them it would be ok.
    First was going to go with May Trucking, but as of now, there's no female trainers available. They don't have a depot in Texas anyway.

So I'll go read your experiences.
    Thanks
    Mary

5. Jorihe84

Jorihe84 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    Last I knew, which was about 2 weeks ago, there are no female trainers in the company so I would say getting a male trainer is 100% guarantee. There was 3 females (including her) in my wifes orientation. I don't know anything about the SW as I'm out of Jax. Training is $58 a day, 150 hours. it takes about 4 weeks depending on your trainer and how fast you learn. None of my students took longer than 3 1/2 weeks. after 75 hours your trainer has the option to run truck as a team for the last 75 hours so be prepared to make him some extra money lol. I don't know Bout GP, but students are upgraded through USX training dept in either Tunnel Hill, GA or Springfield, OH. The upgrade process takes about a full day. You have written test, simulator exam, skills evaluation and road test. after that you will be assigned a FM and basically wait for a truck. They prefer to send students for hometime (4days) after upgrade then truck assignment. You are upgraded thru U.S. Xpress so the chance of getting a truck assignment from one of their terminals is about 10%. Hope this helps

6. trkdrvrs get screwed over

trkdrvrs get screwed over Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Florida
    I don't know about their training either, but as an experienced river, Arnold was BAD ! LOTS of SITTING !! low miles, low pay, low paychecks, they are CHEAP SOBs !

7. Krashdragon

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
  8. Krashdragon

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
    Well, the recruiter said she'd call me back Tue, I was expecting y
    Wed, nothing. So I think I'll keep looking...
    Thanks
    Mary

123456 Thanks this.
  9. Krashdragon

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
    Called the recruitet, said my app was denied because I hadnt worked during 2012...ummmm ...guess they didnt read the part where I was working. Have to email info, but dont have the correct email, have to call recruiter bavk tomorrow. Is it P as in Pete or T as in Tom? She wad a little impatient, but it was Friday.
    I just need to get on somewhere and get some experience...
    Mary

10. richieryan

richieryan Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    OKC,OK
    GP is running two orientations per week, meaning turnover has gotten bad. I hear ya as far as needing to get on somewhere for experience. Does it have to be a metroplex company? I'd hate for anyone to have to spend time paying their dues at Arnold.

11. Krashdragon

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
    No, anywhere i can get on. Would prefer tanks but reefer or dry is fine.
    Any suggestions, please pm me if you dont want to post here...
    I live south of FtWorth, but dont need hometime here...
    Thanks
    Mary

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.