Advice to new Landstar bco's booking loads

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by kanidana, Oct 20, 2023.

1. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    On a drop and hook delivery always ask the agent about empty availability at the rcvr. I'm stranded in South Carolina for 3 days due to there being no empties and the receiver won't give an ETA for unload on my drop. That's just insane. I had a great week pre-planned and lost it all due to lack of empties. Just something I wish I knew before I booked this load. Also book ahead because if you wait, especially at the end of the week, zero freight until Monday. I was all excited about things. This very first load was a wake up call.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    If it was supposed to be a D&H I would have dropped the loaded trailer. No MT's??? Oh, ok, I'll just go somewhere else to get an MT. Why sit around for 3 days? Here's another tip. Just because someone says there AREN'T any empties doesn't mean there aren't any. I've had guards tell me that and I ask if I can go and look anyway and end up finding one.

4. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I dropped the trailer and looked for empties. The load instructions were drop THEN wait 24 to 72 business hours for them to unload the trailer. I'm still stuck here without a trailer.

5. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Least you priced it right if those were your instructions.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Check SOS board.
    Sometimes a breakdown on someone else will allow you to do that load.
    Or call other agents, some may let you haul with a trailer a few days and bring it back.

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Your 100% at fault for this one

8. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    I've never heard of something this ridiculous. How could it go from a D&H to a wait a couple days...:dontknow:

9. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    It wasn't worded in a way that made that clear. Here's what the rate con said: drop 24 to 48 hours. That's it. Sounds to me like I have 24 to 48 houirs to drop the trailer. It doesn't sound like I have to drop the trailer and wait for 24 to 48 hours. I could show you the rate con. That's all it says.

10. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    And I've never heard of anything like this in the 12 years I've been doing this and this was my first load for Landstar. This sounds like a drop and hook where I have 24 to 48 hours to drop and hook the trailer not a drop then wait 24 to 48 hours for the trailer to be unloaded. Very tricky wording. I know now.

11. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    As a matter of fact, almost all drop and hooks are referred to as drops the hook is always assumed in my experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.