Air Brake Adjustment

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by thehornet, Jan 3, 2012.

1. thehornet

thehornet Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2011
    3 doors down
    In school we learned how to do an airbrake test, however nothing on brake adjustment. CVSA states a driver can easily adjust airbrakes equipped with manual slack adjusters in a matter of minutes to maintain maximum breaking capacity. But not showing how...

Can anyone shed some light on this procedure ??

Thanks
    The Hornet

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2011
    ontario, Canada
    I think '96 and newer have to have auto slacks........fyi

4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    There are several different types. One type I'm familiar with uses a 9/16 wrench. I was taught, put it on a "bolt" that is on the adjuster. Tap the wrench in place to release the "bolt" from a keeper. With the brakes released, tighten the brakes tight against the drum. Then back the bolt off 1/2 turn.

Easier done than said!

thehornet Thanks this.
  5. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    They didn't teach you how to adjust brakes because there are very few manual adjusters on trucks any more.

Since you have a 99% chance of getting a truck with automatic slack adjusters, here's how you adjust them: Push in your brake knobs. Stand on the brake, exerting no less than 90 pounds of pressure for not less than 15 seconds. Release the brakes. If they are not properly adjusted after doing this, they need professional attention.

This may be a FOAF story (friend of a friend) but I know a guy who was told his brakes were out of adjustment. He went under the truck to adjust them himself. As soon as he applied the wrench, the DOT guy asked for his brake certification card. Naturally, he didn't have one. He got a ticket.

I do not apply tools to my own brakes. The liability is too high. I don't want to be sued if something goes wrong after I adjust them. I'd just a soon let that fall to someone else who is certified on brakes.

6. thehornet

thehornet Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2011
    3 doors down
    just wasn't sure ..., i know you check for play in slackadjusters , if to much get it in for fixin ?
    or something i should know how to do..

but your def. of auto slacks works for me.

thank you

7. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    1994 :biggrin_2554:

8. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    You got it right Injun and the certified brake card is not a myth, I have one as it shows you are properly trained to inspect and adjust your brake but you shouldnt adjust automatic slack adjusters. Most companies stopped this as they have found that there are problems (if needing adjusting all the time) with the brakes itself. They also dont usually give it to rookies fresh out of school. BTW I do the same method as injun for adjusting my auto slack adjusters except I do it twice in a row. The reason for doing this is you normally dont apply that much pressure to your brakes so they never get adjusted properly

Injun and davetiow Thank this.
  9. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    She's right, you must be trained and certified plus carry a card or it's ticket time. ( If the bear sees you , admit nothing ! )

The old ones are like they said, 9/16 box end, apply the wrench, push the lock down and turn till shoe snugs drum, back off 1/4 on center axle and 1/2 turn on rear axle of tractor / trailer. That will keep them from smokin the tires when empty.

And thanx Injun for the tip on the auto adjust, I didn't know that but I'll try it....

Injun and Macavelly1993 Thank this.
  10. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Regarding how long the travel is before a mechanic is needed: On the older ones (year, anyone?) it was one inch. On the newer ones (long travel slack adjusters) it's three inches.

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    When I'm sitting at a stop sign or stop light, nothing else to do, will stand on the brakes to 85 psi (they don't go higher) a couple times keeping an eye on the air tanks pressure doesn't go below 100 psi. Also end of the day every day, day in and day out lol full on air brake test with bleed down/pop out and drain tanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.