Air Leak

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hayfieldmn, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Hayfieldmn

Hayfieldmn Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2016
    been looking for a air leak for a month now, compressor runs about every 10 min driving down the road, ive sprayed every hose and fitting and nothing!! its a 2018 389. front air ride. my front will drop over night, and both tanks will be at around 50psi, without a trailer on either so it has to be the truck. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!!!

D.Tibbitt and Rugerfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
  4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Once all your bags are inflated, jack the truck up to extend the bags, and spray them down. Could be leaking between the bag and the base.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Check fan clutch. Engine off, key on you might be able to hear it. Some engines apparently use air for the turbo actuator as well.

6. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I would say the compressor is having trouble keeping up with the leak in the steer axle suspension. There’s a leak there somewhere if it drops overnight. On the road the compressor has to keep up with the leak as well as whatever the ride height adjuster calls for on the road. God prefers Diesels sent you on the right trail. You already know which axle needs checking.

7. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    If bags are deflated it's a giveaway that one or more of air bags are leaking. Check air dryer as well as mentioned above

Hayfieldmn and Dale thompson Thank this.
  8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Compressor runs about every ten minutes while running down the road? Sounds completely normal to me. I don't worry about slow leaks overnight. They come and go. I don't spend time chasing them down if I can't hear them audibly walking around the truck.

9. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I’m exactly opposite. I’m the loon you see under his truck with a spray bottle of soapy water and a handful of wrenches. I can park overnight with a loaded b-train and if it’s not windy enough to bounce the truck around a lot my low air alarm doesn’t come on when I start the truck in the morning.

10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    You need an ultrasonic leak detector.

I just bought one.

I'm going to make my truck so that I can shut it down and go on vacation and when I come back my tanks will still be full, lol.

I have not tried it yet but I will over the weekend. I'm curious to see how it works and what I find.

11. Hayfieldmn

Hayfieldmn Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Back to the shop for some more checking, Thanks everyone, I did just find a leaking brake chamber, gonna replace that tomorrow, but it still don't solve the front air ride dropping over night.

Dale thompson Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.