Air miles

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lost in net, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Lost in net

Lost in net Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2017
    For those of you who have ever had a run in with an uninformed police officer running DOT as I did, be sure that you can read off the DOT statues as I did, or at least know where to find them. I run local out of St. Louis within a 100 air mile radius of my start/stop point. The officer stated I was not within that mileage for my furthest stop. There is a website www.distance.to that would have helped me. I found it this morning doing my research. Also he stated that he wasn’t giving me a ticket because I start and stop my day at same location. Also incorrect if he did his research. The statute states that you must be within 100 air miles of you start/stop location or run logs. The second part of having 150 air miles was also incorrect. 150 applies to vehicals that do not require a CDL to operate. Now I’m happy that I was just warned and written for lights being out but I sure wish that St. Louis DOT officers were a little more knowledgeable about the regulations.additional info is here: Hours of Service: The 100 and 150 Air Mile Exemption | Glostone Trucking Solutions

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I run an app on my tablet called Radius on Map so I can see where my Ag exempt starts and stops.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    We haul overweight.
    We have cdl

We haul within 150 miles without eld or paper. We're AG.

D.Tibbitt, Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Read up on the MAP21 law,
    Short story below

The MAP-21 revision expands the current 100 air-mile radius to 150 air-miles (176.2 statute miles), and makes transportation from wholesalers to retailers eligible for the exception.

D.Tibbitt, Bean Jr. and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Half of the short-haul exemp drivers don't understand the reg. Almost everyone that isn't a newbie is adamant that crossing a state border is still in the regs for 100 air-mile drivers. State borders have no impact on FMCSA "short-haul" or 100 air-mile drivers. NOTHING, and borders have been irrelevant for at least 10-15 years.

7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Remember an “air mile” is a nautical term that equals 1.15 miles. Air mile does not mean how the crow flies. When I was local I varied a print out with a 230 mile diameter circle around home base.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Air-mile is the distance, which you correctly show a 1.15 "statute" miles (or what your odometer measures).

But the regulation IS concerned with the "crow fly" or straight line distance between where you start and the point farthest from your origin. The straight line distance on the map, not necessarily what roads you would drive to get from origin to that point is what matters.

Think of an old vinyl record. You start work at the center point of the record. The road to your customer, if that's the farthest point away, is the grooves on that record. As long as where your farthest point is and the straight line from center point to that farthest point is less than the 100 air-miles, which is 115 statute miles, and you meet the other record-keeping and other requirement, you are legal even if you drove 400 miles one-way to get there.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  9. Grizzly Odin

Grizzly Odin Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2018
    I use Google Maps. I just drop a pin where the load Origins and choose Measure Distance. I can see exactly where on my route I enter or exit the 150 Air Mile Ag Exempt. I will have to check out that app.

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. Grizzly Odin

Grizzly Odin Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2018
    As far as the Regs apply, IT IS "AS A CROW FLIES" irregardless of what meanings "Air Mile" may carry.

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I wouldn't be using the 1.15 number anyways.

There are lots of roads that will travel 5 miles within that 1 air mile.

12. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I use it only because you can save all of them.

ADF9BEEE-339F-4E8C-9C24-5D7A309FF7FE.jpeg

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.