Amazon as a side hustle?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LillyLoo, Aug 4, 2018.

1. LillyLoo

LillyLoo Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I've seen a few threads about working for Amazon, and none of them seem encouraging. But what if it was a side hustle, along with other gigs?

My husband and his business partner are thinking about getting another truck and running for Amazon, but not exclusively. They'd also run for other vendors as well.

Or should we just avoid Amazon altogether? They want to run in the Southeast--Tennessee/Georgia area. Does anyone have any rates, or know of any good carriers in this area?

LillyLoo

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Do they have a business plan ?
    What does the business plan say ?
    Do they know what a business plan is ?
    Kinda thought the side hussle was the Amazon model itself ? Isnt that how Amazon got started ?

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I play roulette as a side hustle from time to time... probably do better at that than anyone ever could dealing with Amazon..

86scotty, snowwy, SL3406 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Was started in a garage. Not sure if the term side hustle has ever even been said by the owner.

Their warehouses are big as all hell, or used to be. Not sure on their current FCs(Fulfillment Centers, learn the amazon lingo!)

I only worked inside, never delivered for them. They run a tight ship inside. Don't meet your numbers an you'll be working the drive thru. Taskmasters come to mind if I needed on word to describe their floor/department supervisors.

They also give out pumpkin pie an turkeys at Thanksgiving if your one of the minions working the FC anyhow.

They also do "fun" morning meetings with lots of stretching! No song though. Sorry Walmart employee's looking to switch. ;)

Good luck, I keep hearing people say their going to go try the new Amazon thing. Never hear back though. Not sure if their to busy to update, or said #### it an went back to whatever.

Sirscrapntruckalot - I hated walking FCs.Boring scenery. Unless you like cardboard boxes.

LillyLoo Thanks this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    If Amazon is not good enough for a full time gig,.. then why waste your time with them as a side gig?

Personally I would learn how to get real paying customers. There is no reason anyone should not be operating for less than $3mi to the truck right now. There are so many paying $5+ as well. Pick up the phene,.. call around. There is money to be made.

Hurst

7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If you run Amazon loads, your not going to be running anything else. Know a few people who have been pulling Amazon loads. Seems Amazon has some rules they work by and they really use up your hours.

LillyLoo Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I think if you would listen to people who actually do this for a living, then you should understand that you just got your first truck, don't know much about the industry and have no means to weather any quick downturn in both the market and the economy or interruption of your operations.

What I mean is your "hubby" should use some intelligence and run the truck for at least a year before thinking of getting a second truck.

To answer your question Amazon sucks, I dropped them because there were issues which even I could not afford to deal with. I would not see them as long term profitable center and thinking that it is a "side hustle" only puts anyone using them at risk for losing more money because of their demands.

RubyEagle, Justrucking2 and LillyLoo Thank this.
  9. TruckerDaisy

TruckerDaisy Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2016
    We just got set up with Amazon, but the load we wanted was gone by the time we finished setup. Haven't hauled for them yet, but they send it emails about loads and often they are all "drop trailer for 24-48 hours". Can't make money that way. May be a possibility if we want to be home for a couple of days to drop the trailer and leave when it's ready. We are looking at power only, but haven't seen many of those posted. The load search website they use is really useless.
    I'm thinking they are not worth it.

10. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I would not touch them with your ten foot pole... ;-)

20 Mule Team and gokiddogo Thank this.
  11. NCCU_EAGLES

NCCU_EAGLES Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    relay.amazon.com that's how you sign up.... rates are super low I've been signed up for multiple years and I have only run ONE load for them....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.