Amish buggy struck by semi

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Tazz, Jul 9, 2011.

1. cheeseburger

cheeseburger Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2010
    southeast KY
    I run this area quite often, it's well marked with buggy warning signs, and the buggies I've encountered in this area are always as far right as they can be...obviously being mindful of the danger on motor vehicles, especially trucks.

it sounds as if maybe a moment of inattention killed a baby, and ultimatly ruined this mans life.

that truely sucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. quickway

quickway Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2011
    louisville ky
    It sucks when a kid gets killed.....I say this because even if its the parent of the child that is negligent the driver STILL gets nailed for it. VERY strange and UNFAIR in my opinion.

4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    They can tell the buggy was all the way right by doing a scene analysis and determining where point-of-impact was.

I refuse to cheerlead for this driver or try to make excuses up for him.

A three-year-old baby died. The trucker killed her. Apparently, the guy driving the buggy was doing everything he was supposed to. And as many times those horses are exposed to highway noise and movement, it is extremely unlikely this one was spooked.

5. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Which comments section in which paper? I mean was it an official report or Joe blow saying he heard from a friend of a friend whose uncle the US Marshall........

According to the initial report they were on the right shoulder which is paved through there.

6. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
  7. milestogo

milestogo Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Downeast
    Although I don't currently drive for Roehl, I'll never forget the following lesson imparted at orientation.

Always operate in a manner that you would, if the vehicle in front, beside, and behind you held people you love...

I find the derogatory comments about these folks 'acting as they own the road' disgusting. Learn to use your brake.

Tazz, Injun and ironpony Thank this.
  8. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Last I checked they was human just like the rest of us...... I know they have their good and bad folks. It doesn't make them all good or all bad though.

quickway Thanks this.
  9. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Further proof they are really no different than anyone else....

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-amish-buggy-races-driver-charged-txt,0,7123212.story

There was also a report of a DUI somewhere in the news that involved the amish buggy driver being drunk. I do know a few years ago an amish guy got a DUI and something else. He was passed out and the horse was taking him home...LOL.

As to whoever stated these horses are trained and don't get spooked..... You obviously have no clue! You also seem to forget that a horse isn't born into knowing how to pull a buggy in traffic, they have to be trained, just like we all had to to drive truck. I witnessed it first hand this morning when the horse wouldn't do as the amish guy wanted it to and it just stopped in the middle of my lane.

I'm not bashing the amish, just proving they are no different then us.

BTW what is the real story on this guy who hit that buggy.... Was he drunk or not?

quickway Thanks this.
  10. quickway

quickway Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2011
    louisville ky
    You can take any animal ya like out of the wild.......but you will never remove ALL of the wild out of the animal.

Les2 Thanks this.
  11. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    wasn't drunk, just was on medication, but they don't seem to have played a factor. it seems the fact that he lent over to get a cig is what caused the wreck. took his eyes off the road for a split second or how ever long it took to find that square.

Les2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.