An 80/20 Split

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by madmoneymike5, Jan 21, 2020.

1. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    When I inquired with a small carrier about leasing on, they informed me that they take 20% of the load revenue and I get the rest. This'll be my first time leasing with a carrier.

The first question that came to mind was, is that a typical split or would I be doing myself harm agreeing to that kind of split?

Then I realized it probably depends on what you get with that 20%. In other words, what am I buying with 20% of the revenue--an amount, mind you, that is greater than my marginal/effective tax rate.

I could list all the things they provide for that amount, but instead, I think it would be useful to know what you would expect to get for that kind of money.

So, is 20% an absurd number, and if not, what would you mind to see from a carrier for that split? If it is an absurd number, what is a more reasonable amount?

Thanks!

Coffey, D.Tibbitt and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Go ahead and list what they’re offering, who has the freight, trailer etc.

80 isn’t bad, but others offer 90% if you’re just running under their numbers and on your own for everything else.

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Landstar took 35% pulling their trailers

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    My carrier is 75-25

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    80/20 is a good deal.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Fairmont NE
    Percentages aren’t important. How much you will average to the truck is what you should be looking at. 80% of 1.80 is 1.44 but 70% of 2.20 is 1.54 and so on.

Coffey, exhausted379, roshea and 7 others Thank this.
  8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    80% of nothing, is still nothing.

9. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I recorded the conversation between myself and the individual I had the meeting with about leasing. Unfortunately, for some reason, the microphone was muted about 2 minutes into the 30-minute conversation. I don't recall all the details, but I'll try to post what I can remember...
    • I pay for plates and permits.
    • I can use their shop for maintenance or repairs, or I can go elsewhere.
    • No charge for using their trailers.
    • Not forced dispatched. I can pick my loads from what they have or I can go to the load boards.
    • I pay for Qualcomm, EZ Pass, and PrePass.
    I know that's not much to go on, but it's all I can remember. I'll need to go have a second meeting with them. I wish my recording hadn't gone awry.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I get to pick my loads and most of their existing customers are over 2,000-mile runs from the central US to the west coast. But they are also starting to branch out to the east coast as well. I will make sure my 80% is sufficient to cover my costs or else I won't run the load. Well, usually...unless I have to in order to get into a better freight lane. A $300 loss on a load to get to a $1500 profitable load in a better freight lane is better than the same loss while sitting in a bad freight lane. But that's a subject entirely for another day and thread.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I'm confused. What are you really trying to say by that because I can't see why on earth you would think I would earn nothing or be willing to earn nothing?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted