Another newbie flatbed move if needed or delete

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by JohnnyDH1985, Sep 19, 2019.

1. JohnnyDH1985

JohnnyDH1985 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Elma, WA
    Military ETS . Troops to transport program. Currently on last deployment . Anyways. Reached out a year ago. Seems like system is a good recommendation For new guys . But from what I read at any company if you get accepted and passed and hired on your going straight into a truck . Fine with me t2t has a&m transport . Wilson . Tmc .... few that keep popping up are system . Melton and maverick. Just looking to OTR in flatbed . Gotta run 2 years at about 500.00 or more . All paychecks going to a account for child support . Have the phone hair and shower and laundry accounts taken care of already. . Cdl good for what 5 years? Worst case sell everything and drive . Probably wrote to much but yeah.

Looking for honest opinions on flat or step decks . And what companies will keep you moving. I understand freight fluctuates so does pricing of pay and cpm or percentage . And I understand no one likes to drive in the snow. Been to S.E.R.E so if I can survive this army stuff im.sure I can survive trucking . For at least two years .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Get some serious recommendations from Vets that have actually made this transition.
    They're here I'm sure... our highways are full of America's finest.

Now.. from an old trucker that is looking from the outside.

Use those creds to get into the field with your best opportunity and salary COMBINED with the least contract tenure... so you can be free to explore more lucrative options as soon as you have verified "experience" and can leverage it to your advantage.

That $500.00 you mentioned... I hope it's not all they promise as a salary for a job at t2t.

THAT'S a slap in the face.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jones Bros. Trucking in Missoula, Montana. Hire new cdl grads and also has their own cdl school. Runs 48 states and Canada and I think Canada is not forced on the drivers.
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Cat sdp Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which state will you live in after leaving the Army?
    Paul Transportation sometimes hires new cdl grads.
    www.paulinc.com
    [​IMG]

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  6. Midlife Trucker

Midlife Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    You might want to look at TMC. They've got some nice trucks and are very veteran friendly. What is below is in addition to your pay.

"Eligible veterans can earn up to $1,455.00 per month paid directly to you by the Veterans Administration for up to 24 months" - From their website.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Doesn't that extra money come from the veterans college money? If so, once it's gone, it's gone. Some veterans use that for their children's university education.
    I'd verify where those funds come from before committing to using them. Maybe, I'm mistaken.

RollinThunderVet Thanks this.
  8. Midlife Trucker

Midlife Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    It comes from the GI Bill. That's something that the veteran signed up for and contributed to, at the beginning of his or her service. He seems to be in financial difficulties and this could be one good use of that money. Other uses would be to go to trade school or college but let's be real, if he's got to make some money to pay child support he is going to need to work not go to school.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  9. JohnnyDH1985

Jan 21, 2019
    Elma, WA
    Staying in wa .

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. JohnnyDH1985

Jan 21, 2019
    Elma, WA
    It's ok. Me and the ex wife have separate college fund for both our two sons .

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. JohnnyDH1985

Jan 21, 2019
    Elma, WA
    Yes . That's why I'm choosing this vocation. I'm already gone 3/4 of any given year in any place of the world. . Re ran all my numbers multiple times. Not really in financial straights but . I'd rather chunk it all and just pay the current month and save up the rest. Already beent to court multiple times to lower. It's not going lower
    Judge's words. Ex wife doesn't seem to.want that either . Either way I'd rather spend 18 more months doing same thing or close to it ..what I'm doing now . Then to be still in the rat race as some say
    18 months and then maybe a change in carrer... either way is alot better than physically seeing my kids only less 30 days out the year . And that's spread out compared to the 64 I should be getting g

beastr123 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.