Anxiety in the snow

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sunshinegirl, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dodge never offered the option, Ford continues to.

It is like antilock brakes, more accidents have been caused by overconfidence that antilock brakes will save you but when you have no braking at all, how would that work?

Four or all wheel drive is to go, not to stop. Stopping is the problem as demonstrated the other day on us 23 south of Ann Arbor, the idiot women and her for kids passed me, hit a slick spot a mile from me and hit a pickup truck then into a ditch, when I got there, I helped her and her kids out of her expensive suv and she kept babbling on about it being four wheel drive and not made to lose control. The cop that arrived told her pretty much she was stupid to think that, the cop was not tactful.

Farmerbob1, stuckinthemud and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just to amplify this point @Ridgeline has made. The coefficient of traction on hard ice-covered roads without something penetrating the surface of said ice is ZERO! Not snow, not slush but a solid sheet of ice. I don't care if you are in a fully laden tractor-trailer or a VW bug. You can't steer or brake. You are 100% helpless, much like a trucker in a runaway truck going down a steep grade with their brakes on fire. You are not going to stop until you hit something or leave the road unless of course, you are lucky enough to get to the bottom of the hill or off the ice.

One of the most dangerous mindsets a human has in these situations is "I think I can do it". I can take you right now today to the grave sites of drivers that miscalculated!

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. davidl

davidl Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Ohio
    1) Drive at the speed your comfortable with and stop looking at your speedometer.
    2) Dim your gauge lights down, works well in heavy rain too.
    3) Roll down your windows and check the backside of your mirrors for ice and look for mist coming off of the tires of the other vehicles to get a feel of what the road is doing.
    4) Turn off your stereo.
    5) Drive ahead of yourself. Can you stop if you have to? Can you ditch the truck if you need to?

6. Sunshinegirl

Sunshinegirl Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2019
    Idaho
    I had taken a week off to get my head right. I don't want to accidentally hurt anyone or cause a wreck while doing so my boss/ owner's son. Went into my mom's work. She said how she was my mom and I worked there, he then proceeded to rag on me for 15 min. My mom of course stood up for me. I quit this morning. I refuse to work for a company that won't be kind to me over a accident I am not at fault for. Life goes on. I'm going to apply at some other towing companies

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Mine locks by command via a computer function that is push button. However it is old enough that once locked, it's not going anywhere out of 4x4. Keep in mind Tahoes are NOT offroad 4x4 very good. They have a bad habit of snapping rear axles and such. Now on highway it's a nice feature to have if its needed. Most of the time we stay home anyway so no issues on that really.

Once in a while post storm we would run town and valley a little bit hunting people who are stuck lightly and tug em with a 10 foot chain. Just a little tug and off they go. Sometimes she earns her gas that way but it's not the reason'de'existance.

Ive actually decided to essentially restore my vehicle to 100% more or less mechanical reliability. That will take a few years. There are small things to do such as replacement of headlight group, parking cable and so forth.

8. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Did you ever get a lawyer to fight that ticket for when the lady hit you and said you were in the middle of the street?

9. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    At least your anxious about it. I came through road work in Little Rock, two tight lanes full of traffic and a guy literally sitting right on the edge of the road working on something. It felt like I missed him by a hair. I hollered a warning on the radio, but nobody had anywhere to go and I heard guys behind me cussing as they shot past him. People like that need to be more anxious.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Last March 6, I was pulling into the Flying J at Rocker/Browns Gulch at 1015pm, right where the new roundabout is. It was snow pack and incredibly icy. Just as i was going past the stop sign for the west bound exit ramp, at maybe 10 mph, a drunk ran the sign, hit my truck with a glancing blow to my right front. Totalled the tractor, drunk driver got a broken arm and tickets.

When MHP showed up, they asked me two questions: "Were you driving this truck?" Me:"Yes, sir." MHP:" You ok?" Me: "Yes,sir."

Other than a ride back from the hospital, just in case, that was the end of it for me. Didn't even have to pee in a cup.

It rattled me. But I'm still driving.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The accidents by and large are annoying but they don't shake me too much. What I do do is get angry when the magnitude of one person's supidity puts lives in danger under my truck. Now I need to find room to save that one from getting crushed or decapitated. I had thankfully been successful when I needed to.

I am unfortunately still angry with those idiots to this day. Dumb louts. Not just stupid but seriously darwinian dumb stuff.

If I go back out there, Im buying old time mudlfaps (LIfe this side, Suicide that side)

Farmerbob1 and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.