Anxiety

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Ladygeegee, May 3, 2017.

1. Ladygeegee

Ladygeegee Bobtail Member

May 3, 2017
    What? I now have anxiety while driving. Been off truck for two weeks. How do I get through this? Help plz.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Give it a day or two. Happened to me after a 4 day holiday weekend. 2nd day back and I was fine.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  4. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Just got to get back in the saddle.

I got side-swiped last week, ripped the drivers side of my truck all to hell. Totaled his car:
    WP_20170426_00_02_38_Pro.jpg

5hrs later, after a tow, tractor reassignment & having a tank tire repaired, I was back at it. Those 6 seconds, while terror inducing don't define my abilities or expectations of the road.

You took a break. You drove before the two weeks & you can drive after. Confident but cautious..... as that photo shows, stupid is lurking right over the hill, and he might be in your lane!

Jeck, Shock Therapy, Lonesome and 3 others Thank this.
  5. AtticusRoad

AtticusRoad Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Indiana
    LOL, Ata boy killingtime! That'll put her at ease.
    You made me drop my phone.

street beater and KillingTime Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    KT, imagine how it feels to deal with the little trauma of being rear ended by a can hauler who "didn't see" you, even with bright brake lights and stopped traffic. My car looked a lot worse than that one.

It took me a few hours after being released from the hospital to get up enough nerve to ride home.

7. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    I get anxiety while on home time just doing regular social stuff....after 4days I'm anxious to get back out there. I was born to haul....for now.

22dragoo Thanks this.
  8. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I have anxiety when I go home...I think the OP is doing it backwards

9. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I take winters off..climbing back into the truck feels great...for about 3 days.
    When Im home..I miss the truck.
    When in the truck..I miss home.
    Cant we just get paid to stay home?:D

10. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Anxiety is not a logical phenomena. You can develop anxiety disorder over pretty much anything at any time. Billy Bob Thorton gets anxiety over seeing antiques and over Benjamin Diraeli's hair....no lie. He even used it as a funny line in the movie "Bandits".

I once developed anxiety over taking pee tests---the idea that a teenage girl was standing right outside my door waiting for me to shake the snake just drove me batty. lol I actually got to the point where I could no longer do the pee test at all. It almost made me have to quit truck driving.

I would suggest counseling if it continues to escalate and disrupts your ability to function at your job. There are desensitization techniques that might help with the symptoms. As to the root cause....that's something that may require more professional intervention.

11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Hate to admit it but I had issues with this for a few years ..can't put my finger on a cause but divorce and big bills would be my guess , took some meds for a few years and didn't like the side effects so got off em when I felt I couldn't do my job without em .
    The fear of a panic attack precipitates the situation .
    After I got off the meds 5 years ago I just woke up one day and decided what will be will be and im no longer living to impress anyone else.
    Haven't had a problem since.
    I

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.