Any Mercer VAN drivers out there?

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by saab1985, Feb 8, 2014.

1. saab1985

saab1985 Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Tucker, GA
    Was wondering if there was a Mercer van driver (or 2) who I could ask a few questions? I'm currently with Schneider on their Choice program. Was thinking about Mercer flatbed but want to look at VAN first. Any info regarding realistic pay per mile, freight lanes, etc would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Atlanta area. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I've been with mercer for just over a year now, and honestly, I sound like a #### recruiter. I have never had it this good. Not just the money, but more importantly, the quality of life. The way you are treated here. It's unbelievable. From dispatch to safety and other contractors, every one goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome and do whatever they can to help you succeed. All that being said, the only van guys I see, are old flatbed guys that either due to injury or just age catching up to them, had to switch to vans. Occasionally ill be by the office and see a new guy starting on bands, then next time I see him he is hooked to a flat bed. I'm not sure if it's about rates, or exposure to how much better and just flat out more fun it is to pull open deck.

saab1985 Thanks this.
  4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven

everything he said times 2

5. Tweetskillet

Tweetskillet Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Louisville, Ky
    Im just nervous about pulling a flat. But tired of pulling a van. Just put my application in this week.

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Nothing to be nervous of unless you question your physical ability to lift a tarp. Securing loads is mainly common sense, if you've ever packed up and moved anything in a pick up truck you can do flatbed. Also almost every shipper will show you how to secure the product if you ask. Other drivers also. It's not like pulling a van where a shipper wants you to back into a dock and leave them alone. Shippers and receivers in flat bed are helpful, pleasant, and courteous. Last load I picked up first thing the guy said after I backed into the building was to tell me where the coffee was and to help myself too a donut. Then after loading he brought out a pallet of felt and started taping up all the steel brackets while I strapped it down. On the delivery they helped take off the tarps and straps. That type of courtesy never happens in the dryvan and reefer business.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Joetro and saab1985 Thank this.
  7. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Yea what spyder said.

I pull a step cause I found years ago, shippers and receivers at docks are stressful.
    I think if it boiled down to same pay (flat vs van) I'd still want to pull a flat because of the customers.

saab1985 Thanks this.
  8. POPS3480

POPS3480 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Irmo, SC
    I pull vans at Mercer. Couldn't be happier. I have been here since Sept. The guys on here are dead on about the company and the folks that work / drive here. You won't find a better place. I do very well in the van division. No doubt I could make a little more money in flats and you are gonna have good and bad shippers / cons in either. But it wears me out carrying all the money I make to the bank every week. You can't go wrong at Mercer on either side. Good luck!

9. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    You need to get set up with direct deposit so you can use the extra energy to go get koolaid.

Heavy Handed Thanks this.
  10. Tweetskillet

Tweetskillet Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Louisville, Ky
    Im hoping I can make enough to buy my own truck in one year. Cash money. Has anyone ever bought from lone mountain and put it on at Mercer ? What is this kool aid yall speak of ? Does it help you boost company morale? How long does it take to learn to $$$$ freight lanes ?

11. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    there are many drivers at mercer who bought trucks from lone mountain,

I am one of them, and I got 2 more payments on this baby.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.