Any suggestions for dealing with back and neck problems caused by a bumpy ride?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Davidbenjamin, May 18, 2023.

1. Davidbenjamin

Davidbenjamin Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    I'm currently driving a 2021 Freightliner Cascadia day cab 500 miles a day, five days a week.
    Every time I go over a bump, there is pain in the back of my neck because of how rough the ride is. I'm using a seat cushion, but it isn't helping. Should I ask for a different truck? And would it make any difference if I switched to a sleeper berth truck? As much as I enjoy driving, I don't need any more long term health problems. I appreciate your help.

Rideandrepair and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Of course a sleeper truck will ride smoother and be quieter, but are you ready to quit if you ask and the company says "no"? Does your truck have only one drive axle? Is your seat able to slide back and forth? I always found that lessened some of the harshness, but almost every truck I shared with someone they ALWAYS flipped the switch that controls the fore/aft motion back to rigid. I'm not talking about the switch where you adjust the seat fore/aft but the switch that lets the seat move fore/aft at it's current position.

Rideandrepair and Davidbenjamin Thank this.
  4. Rolladawg

Rolladawg Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2023
    NYC
    Maybe find a Chiropractor and get an adjustment, might help fix the short term problem, and give you an indication if you're liable to have longer terms issues?

5. The Green Mountain

The Green Mountain Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    Doubt it's the truck, homie.
    It's probably you and your banged up body.

SSDD, Tb0n3, Rideandrepair and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I’m probably in the minority, but I’m pretty conscience about proper posture. I have my seat adjusted to where my elbows are down by my side. I find it’s much less fatiguing than having to extend my arms to reach the wheel. I also have the seat to where my knees are pretty much in line with my hips.

7. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I did that when I was driving a day cab Coronado. That was the third and last chiropractor I'll ever go to. I could barely walk after driving for an hour or two. Took a few weeks to get back to normal.

8. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
  9. Davidbenjamin

Davidbenjamin Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    That looks like a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

10. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Yup another vote for Bonebender.... Look up The Joint. Its a chain of chiropractic franchises and often have evening and weekend hours

Maverick Griff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.